good off leash hikes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: good off leash hikes?

Post by peter303 »

Generally just a couple of the parks like Rocky National and Brainard have a low of ticket-happy rangers hiking around.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Re: good off leash hikes?

Post by davebks »

For most of the responses, thanks for the info. I saw a few good ones in there.
I havent been to Coulson yet but it is on my list.

As for Boulder's policies, yes, I have been spoiled for sure. I have hiked the Colorado trails for YEARS but never had a dog until last year.
Putting aside people's needs to tell me to be a good dog owner, I would like some more trail recommendations if possible.

I have an aussie, hes very well trained, we've hiked 100's of miles already and hes great out there. I do clean up my poop and carry it, he loves other dogs, he is not going to eat you, or your kids, or your dog, etc. Does that cover all your issues??? :-k

Putting that aside I like the flatirons stuff but like to get out deeper into the woods with him. I was shocked to hear Rollins Pass was on leash. I swear I have seen dogs there all the time off leash but when I called the ranger said its on leash. All the trails I have hiked I always did without a dog so I never paid attention to whether they could be up there or off leash. Now I have to look back and re-research all these places. What a pain.

Anyway, more suggestions please!!! Thanks!!!! :wft: