Grayrock group -- torched

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gregS
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grayrock group -- torched

Post by gregS »

While unfortunate that people won't be hiking up there for a bit, and many of the trees will be gone, it's a pretty good place for a burn. As long as it stays away from Glacier View and the properties in the canyon (and doesn't jump the river), that area needed to burn. And, there aren't many homes in the immediate burn path. Fire return intervals are short for the area in there. Hopefully winds don't shift to the north or the southeast.
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JohnWilliams »

I know the area where its heading very well. Its sage brush and grass with very limited trees. I'm not sure how good or bad that is for firefighters working on it. Scary to see such destruction so close to home and in a place I was at over the weekend. I really hope those folks working on it stay safe and I hope they catch the MFer who started it. I'll get some picture from work tonight and post them later.
bpko
14ers: 13  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bpko »

It's a damn shame this fire has to be in this area. There is a lot of cultural history that is present in Hewlett Gulch area. Anyone ever hear of the Gordon Creek Woman? It's a 12,000 year old burial just west (I believe) of Hewlett Gulch, which is one of the oldest burials known in the United States. All the woman's remains have since been excavated, but the surrounding region itself is still of great archaeological interest and research. I hope the fire doesn't affect the integrity of this site.

Have they announced the cause of the fire? Last I checked the causes were still unknown.

Fort Collins and the foothills to the west are shrouded in a haze. No matter where you go, it smells like you're standing right next to a campfire.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "Sir," without adding, "you're making a scene."
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

bpko wrote:It's a damn shame this fire has to be in this area. There is a lot of cultural history that is present in Hewlett Gulch area. Anyone ever hear of the Gordon Creek Woman? It's a 12,000 year old burial just west (I believe) of Hewlett Gulch, which is one of the oldest burials known in the United States. All the woman's remains have since been excavated, but the surrounding region itself is still of great archaeological interest and research. I hope the fire doesn't affect the integrity of this site.

Have they announced the cause of the fire? Last I checked the causes were still unknown.

Fort Collins and the foothills to the west are shrouded in a haze. No matter where you go, it smells like you're standing right next to a campfire.
Just "Human-caused; Still Under Investigation" so far...
Steve Knapp
14ers: 57 
13ers: 395
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Steve Knapp »

That is a huge jump in size from what they quoted yesterday. 5,000 acres is about the size of the entire Vail ski area including all the back bowls. Let's hope it doesn't get too much bigger. Some fires can be good but not when they nuke huge areas. The Hayman fire was 138,000 acres (biggest ever in Colorado). Ten years later that area is still devastated and only slowly coming back.

It seems to be mainly moving N-NE with the prevailing south winds. A wind shift to the north may come for the weekend which would turn it back upon itself but could then threaten other areas and homes. I was planning a trip to the east side of RMNP this weekend but hope it isn't smoked in from the fire. It's quite hazy in Denver now and very obscured looking north to Ft. Collins.

I heard they suspect an abandoned campfire as the cause but not confirmed.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Evacuation order issued for Bonner Springs Ranch Rd to Hwy 287 & South. :shock:
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Ugh. A classic hike near Ft. Collins, perfect for this time of year, usually green with budding wildflowers and not too hot.
Wanted to do the Grand Slam hike/bushwhack one of these days -- looks like all six have now been burned, in addition to Pt. 6945.
Unfathomable.
Upwardlybound
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Upwardlybound »

Too bad. Grayrock is a fun hike if you avoid the rattlesnakes. The area has had a number of small fires over the years, but nothing of this magnitude.
"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals His thoughts to men, He who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth -- the Lord God Almighty is His name." Amos 4:13
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

So sh!tty.

- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Scary map, George. At this point, I just hope it doesn't cross 14 to the south and they can contain it to the west somewhat. Looks like it could very well go all the way to 287.
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

Well, that's disappointing. I used to hike at Greyrock quite frequently when I was living in Ft. Collins. Based on that map I'm guessing it looks a bit different up there today. On the brighter side, at least this fire hasn't torched anyone's home yet. It seems like we're shaping up for a bad fire year at this point.
gregS
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gregS »

Steve Knapp wrote:That is a huge jump in size from what they quoted yesterday. 5,000 acres is about the size of the entire Vail ski area including all the back bowls. Let's hope it doesn't get too much bigger. Some fires can be good but not when they nuke huge areas. The Hayman fire was 138,000 acres (biggest ever in Colorado). Ten years later that area is still devastated and only slowly coming back.
Mixed-severity fire regime, so not anymore close to being outside of HRV. It may be sad if it burns some houses down, but that's a risk people take living in the woods, same with floodplains, coasts, tornado-prone areas, etc). Next year and in subsequent years, there will be a ton of flowers and grasses, and loads of wildlife. The media and the damn bear make everyone think that wildfires are always bad. They're very important ecologically. The reason that the fires up in that area have been small, is that they're suppressed.