Is this New York Peak? (in Sawatch)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Is this New York Peak? (in Sawatch)

Post by d_baker »

While driving down Indy Pass a week ago (on the Aspen side), just before the turnoff for Lincoln Creek Rd, I saw this peak. There's only a brief window through the mountains/trees to see this peak and its cool looking snow line to the summit.
I think it's New York Peak (12,811').
Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone been into the side as seen in the photo? The approach on the map looks like it could be a pain. Maybe.
maybeNewYorkPeak.JPG
maybeNewYorkPeak.JPG (125.43 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Is this New York Peak? (in Sawatch)

Post by CO Native »

Yes that is New York Peak. Sorry though I can't help with any beta on climbing that face.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

I have hiked from the Eagle side, the trail winds around to the top on the side you show in the photo way above the harder stuff. I've been up there a few times, from what I recall looking down, nothing looked extremely exciting but I am sure you could contrive a route to get as interesting as you want. No idea about the approach from that side. Look at all that snow, wow!
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

rickinco123 wrote:I have hiked from the Eagle side, the trail winds around to the top on the side you show in the photo way above the harder stuff. I've been up there a few times, from what I recall looking down, nothing looked extremely exciting but I am sure you could contrive a route to get as interesting as you want. No idea about the approach from that side. Look at all that snow, wow!
If you hiked from the Eagle area, you were on a different New York Mtn (~12500).
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Looks like Jordan & Friends skied it! (maybe I should contact him about the approach....)
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

DaveLanders wrote:If you hiked from the Eagle area, you were on a different New York Mtn (~12500).
Doh! New York Peak and New York Mountain. That would explain why I was so puzzled about the steepness. HaHa.... carry on.
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

There is a decent trail up New York Creek all the way to the pass between NY Creek and Bowman creek. If I recall, you could access the saddle between NY creek and Columbia creek pretty easy -- that was looking up at it (I didn't climb it) -- and over Difficult BM to NY Peak. Another way to get in there is from the Goodwin-Greene hut. You can drive to a saddle above the hut with a decent 4wd (I've been there in a variety of vehicles) and then ridgewalk around the head of Bruin creek and over to Columbia creek (I shot my best elk in the saddle between Bruin and Columbia). Don't drive down to the hut -- that part of the road is pretty bad. There is little elevation gain/loss from the saddle and it is a spectacular area -- full of elk and bears. There is an old mine down in Bruin creek with an orecart in it -- pretty cool. From Columbia, you can access Difficult BM and over to NY Peak. I wouldn't advise going up Weller creek -- that is a nasty, blowdown, old fire zone and very unpleasant walking (although there are elk in there).