Lost Creek Wilderness Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shanrickv
14ers: 44 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Lost Creek Wilderness Conditions

Post by shanrickv »

I'm going to be in the Bailey area this weekend and want to get a hike in Sunday afternoon. Does anyone know what conditions are like? Do I need snowshoes above treeline. I'm thinking about Twin Cone Peaks. Thanks.
Climb On!
Patrick
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Lost Creek Wilderness Conditions

Post by Doug Shaw »

If you'll be starting from Kenosha you should be able to see the conditions from the pass... throw the snowshoes in the car and make a decision when you get there.
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

If you're thinking N. Ben Tyler Trail, I would absolutely take snowshoes. From the west, those peaks are pretty wind scoured as of Sunday, but this storm might have added some snow, and I'd still carry them. Those peaks are surrounded by willows and big boulder traps; postholing is very likely.
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

I'm further up, near Rosalie's trailhead, and woke up to more than a foot of fresh snow. Ben Tyler and Kenosha are likely to have similar conditions. We're also expected to get more of the white stuff this afternoon and evening. It's the wet and thick stuff - not powdery. My point . . . just don't wear those snowshoes on your pack, try them on your feet! :wink:

It is absolutely beautiful this morning!
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
shanrickv
14ers: 44 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shanrickv »

Mountainspirit wrote:I'm further up, near Rosalie's trailhead, and woke up to more than a foot of fresh snow. Ben Tyler and Kenosha are likely to have similar conditions. We're also expected to get more of the white stuff this afternoon and evening. It's the wet and thick stuff - not powdery. My point . . . just don't wear those snowshoes on your pack, try them on your feet! :wink:

It is absolutely beautiful this morning!
Thanks! The snowshoes are in the back of the car.
Climb On!
Patrick