"The Index": Beta?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

"The Index": Beta?

Post by TomPierce »

Howdy all,

A buddy and I are making plans to go down to the San Juans this summer to climb some technical peaks. One peak on our loose hit list is called The Index, and apparently the easiest route up is rated 5.9. I've done some internet research, admittedly nothing too rigorous, and have read the brief and cryptic description in a San Juan guidebook. No luck on summitpost but maybe I framed the inquiry wrong. Nonetheless detailed info has yet to emerge. Does anyone have any detailed info on the route, e.g. what's the line? What's the crux type (crack/slab/face)? Etc. Any beta out there? This kind of climbing is always an adventure, but I'd like to have some route info beforehand so I'm not, for example, shut down because the crux is an offwidth and my largest piece is only a #4 cam. Conversely I'd hate to lug more gear than I need, I'm not the most enthusiastic pack mule. I have some other sources I can try to tap but thought I'd start here. Many thanks in advance,
-Tom
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Re: "The Index": Beta?

Post by mattpayne11 »

Have you tried Mountainproject.com?
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Matt: Yep, tried that as well. I know of a fellow who has done it but don't know him personally. I suppose I could try to track him down but have no contact info at hand. Thought I'd see if anyone here has info.
-Tom
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Tom,

I'm sure you already went down this route, but the only climber to sign The Index's register on Lists of John is none other than Mike Garratt of Garratt and Martin fame. No doubt he would have reliable beta. Regardless, sounds like a great adventure. All the best on your attempt -- it would be great to read about your trip.

Neil
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Neil: Yep, he was the fellow to whom I was referring. I know of him but not a personal connection...unless you count that I personally own one of his books! :lol: I'm pretty sure I could track him down but I've always been impressed with the amount of info out there in the 14ers.com community so thought I'd try here first. But yeah, if nothing pops up I'll track him down. Really odd that there's so little out there on this peak, I hope that doesn't mean it's a loose horror-fest that no sane person would climb.
-Tom
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Tom,

There was a TR on 14erWorld. Check your PMs.

I believe the Index is the left most summit.
Last edited by rijaca on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

rijaca: Just sent a PM. Many thanks!
-Tom
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Tom,
I call up Aaron Ihinger. He's been Mike's 'rope-gunner' for a little while now and see if I can get a hold of him that way for beta.
We'll be down that way in late July-early August for some peaks and The Index is also on our tentitive list.
I'll send you a PM when I hear something.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

Tom -

Would you mind sharing what you find out? What other peaks are you thinking about?
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Hey Pat: Sure, absolutely. If you're OK with it, send me your email address via PM and I can send you some stuff now.

As for the trip, it's obviously just in the planning stage and the current thinking is that our 2 top priorites are The Index (for me) and a spur of Monitor Peak for my buddy (he fell on it years ago and wants another go at it). So long as we're doing that spur I'd be interested in the East Face of Monitor. Other peaks of interest are Peaks 15 & 16, Twin Thumbs and Little Finger, all 5th class. Much more in the area but it'll be only a week, tops, and with the weather it's unlikely we'd knock even half that number off. We'll see...
-Tom
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

If you are looking for 5th class routes, Twin Thumbs will dissapoint. Hard class 3 on each thumb (maybe class 4). Peak 16 is class 3/4. Peak 15 is tougher, but I've climbed it free-solo w/ a 30' rap on the descent (and I am NOT a big 5th class guy!!). The first time on !it, i was more intimidated and took a belay for one pitch, but the leadet free-soloed. We still rapped the 30' section on the descent. Paks 17 (Little Finger) and the Index are a different story. 5.7-5.9, hard to protect , very off-widht. i have failed at Peak 17 and my buddy failed at Index on the same trip. Wrong pro and my nuts were too small!

Pat, when are you interested in going in? (We discussed it two years ago, but nothing came of it)

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

sgladbach wrote:Wrong pro and my nuts were too small!
A common condition that's derailed many a summit-bid. Thank you folks, I'll be here all week ...
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin