Dillon area snowshoeing

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eph 2 5
14ers: 43 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (3)

Dillon area snowshoeing

Post by Eph 2 5 »

I'm going to be in Dillon sometime in the next few weeks and was wondering what would be a good place to snowshoe. I'm really looking for 2 options : 1 for an easy snowshoe of only a couple of miles or so (but still with decent views) and another more challenging (but non-technical) snowshoe/hike which would, hopefully, get me above treeline or at least have really nice views of the higher peaks (up to 10 miles or so RT). The top priority is to have basically no avalanche danger. I've done almost no research into this yet, but was thinking of lower altitude areas of the Gore's, the west side of Grays and Torreys (Peru Creek ?), Loveland Pass, or the Breckenridge area. I'm open to any suggestions, though. I've done several hikes in the Breckenridge area, but haven't hiked in the other areas I listed. Thanks for your help.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dillon area snowshoeing

Post by davebobk47 »

Some of my favorites in the Frisco/Dillion area:
Mt Royal: 4mi RT 1400ft gain, excellent views of Grays, Torreys, Quandary, and many other montains.
Sapphire Pt Loop: 1 mi Rt (yes only 1 mile), 0ft of gain, great views of Tenmile range
Mt Sniktau from Loveland Pass: I think its about 4 mi RT and around 1500ft of gain. Decent views, gets you over 13K
also from Loveland you could do Cupid and/or Grizzly.

I'd consider all of those fairly avy safe
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Eph 2 5
14ers: 43 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Eph 2 5 »

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me where the Mt Royal and Sapphire Loop trailheads are? They both sound good. Thanks.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

As far as easier snowshoe trips you may want to check the Breckenridge Nordic Center and Frisco Nordic Center. At the Breckenridge Nordic Center you pay $17 to access groomed trails and they have a wide range of difficulty. Here is a link http://www.breckenridgenordic.com/maps1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that has maps to both areas.
cwm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cwm »

The golf course at the north end of Silverthorne usually has cross country and snow shoeing trails and there is also no fee.

Off Swan Mountain Road head towards the lake on the road down to the Prospector campground. Good views across the lake of the Eagle's Nest area.

The Keystone Nordic Center at the River Golf Course has snow shoe trails but there is a fee.

I don't think Sniktau, Cupid or Grizzly would be be very easy on show shoes.
scott goldberg
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 37 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scott goldberg »

here's another link of some trails in the area...

http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/win ... l_list.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Eph 2 5 wrote:Thanks for the info. Could you tell me where the Mt Royal and Sapphire Loop trailheads are? They both sound good. Thanks.
The Sapphire Pt TH is off of Swan Mtn Road, there are plenty of signs and a parking lot there.

Here is the summitpost page for Mt Royal: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... royal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree that Grizzly may be a bit difficult but if you are in decent shape Sniktau or Cupid should be no problem.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev