Icon for Night Climbs

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.
User avatar
Upstate Hiker
Posts: 210
Joined: 9/27/2010
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby Upstate Hiker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:people will know how awesome we are at first glance

Wearing pins is for sissies. My checklist is on permanent display, like this:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2lqbky-cSgg/TAP8g_JzAFI/AAAAAAAADi8/7eCAtDUYdFo/Angelina-Jolie-tattoos-Geography-coordinates-Tattoo.jpg

Can we tattoo the names of our partners too? I think we should get some matching ink!
User avatar
metalmountain
Posts: 992
Joined: 12/17/2009
14er Checklist (35)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (26)

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby metalmountain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Tattoos are lame...

Branding is the new thing. Don't be wussies.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
User avatar
crossfitter
Posts: 893
Joined: 7/7/2009
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby crossfitter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Who needs snowflakes, why not just bullet list every accomplishment in your signature? It's the only way to be sure that no one will mistake you for a noob rather than an elite mountaineer if they forget to mouse-over your name.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

User avatar
DeucesWild
Posts: 624
Joined: 9/12/2011
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:27 pm

crossfitter wrote:Who needs snowflakes, why not just bullet list every accomplishment in your signature? It's the only way to be sure that no one will mistake you for a noob rather than an elite mountaineer if they forget to mouse-over your name.


A very good 666th post, crossfitta

666.JPG
666.JPG (77.68 KiB) Viewed 405 times
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
User avatar
SnowAlien
Posts: 1320
Joined: 11/3/2010
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (32)
14ers in Winter (45)
13er Checklist (245)
Contact:

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby SnowAlien » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:39 pm

crossfitter wrote:Who needs snowflakes, why not just bullet list every accomplishment in your signature? It's the only way to be sure that no one will mistake you for a noob rather than an elite mountaineer if they forget to mouse-over your name.

SurfNTurf wrote:Let's take this up a notch. Bill, how about you make physical pins for us? Then we can wear them to the Happy Hours, to work, in the shower, etc. and people will know how awesome we are at first glance. I won't be happy unless I look like a five-star general.


Wow, you guys are having a field day around here. :lol:

Surf - I thought you said you were not going to shower since you are heading to Boulder soon. :-#
User avatar
TravelingMatt
Posts: 1900
Joined: 6/29/2005
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (355)

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Feh. Checklists and icons are too mainstream.
AC 0000000
User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 1718
Joined: 6/14/2010
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby Dave B » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:51 pm

ameristrat wrote:My God, people, I was half kidding / half throwing the idea around. It's clearly not popular, but no need to crucify me.


A proper crucifixion can be found here
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir
User avatar
I Man
Posts: 966
Joined: 7/18/2011
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (49)
13er Checklist (73)
Contact:

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby I Man » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Dave B wrote:
ameristrat wrote:My God, people, I was half kidding / half throwing the idea around. It's clearly not popular, but no need to crucify me.


A proper crucifixion can be found here


People who Boulder more than once a month usually die in their first year of climbing.

If you want a good response, head over to Teton Gravity - tell them you've hiked half of the CO 14ers and ask if you are ready for Cassin Ridge =D>
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
User avatar
SeracZack
Posts: 315
Joined: 10/24/2011
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby SeracZack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:58 pm

I Man wrote:People who Boulder more than once a month usually die in their first year of climbing.


FACT.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
User avatar
Chicago Transplant
Posts: 3299
Joined: 9/7/2004
14er Checklist (56)
14ers Skied (10)
14ers in Winter (23)
13er Checklist (575)

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:01 pm

I don't look at the checklists as an accomplishment boast, I think its nice to see what peaks are done in what circumstances because it can help with planning. If anything, we should have a summary of the icons similar to the overall statistics - what are the most popular winter? ski? night? etc. Right now the overall summary stats say Longs is the most favorited, Grays the most climbed first and overall, but what is the most climbed in winter, or the most skied? I don't know, maybe that stuff wouldn't be that useful, just because a peak is climbed a lot in winter doesn't mean its the safest winter peak, but how useful is knowing what peak is the most "first climbed" either? According to LOJ's grid presentation, January is the 4th most popular month to climb Quandary after June, July and August. More people climb it in winter months combined that do so in fall months combined. I guess I just find that sort of stuff interesting, and think it would be cool to see more of.

I guess all I am trying to say is that stats are just fun for peak nerds like me to waste our time looking at :lol:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
User avatar
dehrlich101
Posts: 528
Joined: 7/9/2006
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (19)

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby dehrlich101 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:I don't look at the checklists as an accomplishment boast, I think its nice to see what peaks are done in what circumstances because it can help with planning. If anything, we should have a summary of the icons similar to the overall statistics - what are the most popular winter? ski? night? etc. Right now the overall summary stats say Longs is the most favorited, Grays the most climbed first and overall, but what is the most climbed in winter, or the most skied? I don't know, maybe that stuff wouldn't be that useful, just because a peak is climbed a lot in winter doesn't mean its the safest winter peak, but how useful is knowing what peak is the most "first climbed" either? According to LOJ's grid presentation, January is the 4th most popular month to climb Quandary after June, July and August. More people climb it in winter months combined that do so in fall months combined. I guess I just find that sort of stuff interesting, and think it would be cool to see more of.

I guess all I am trying to say is that stats are just fun for peak nerds like me to waste our time looking at :lol:


Agreed!
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
User avatar
Lemmiwinks
Posts: 579
Joined: 5/6/2012
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (10)
13er Checklist (86)

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby Lemmiwinks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:50 pm

crossfitter wrote:Who needs snowflakes, why not just bullet list every accomplishment in your signature? It's the only way to be sure that no one will mistake you for a noob rather than an elite mountaineer if they forget to mouse-over your name.


After mousing-over your name, I can see that you are a total noob.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Return to “Site Problems and Resolution”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests