Additional Peaks on TR page

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.
User avatar
Dancesatmoonrise
Posts: 2141
Joined: 9/25/2009
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (43)

Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Bill, having a problem with adding additional peaks in the "add a TR" page. When I click on the botton, it does nothing, and shows "error on page" in the bar at the bottom. It's a variable problem, because sometimes it works. Right now I can't seem to get to work at all. Any suggestions? Thanks. -Jim
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 7584
Joined: 7/25/2004
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
Contact:

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:30 pm

No idea why it does that sometimes and you're not the only one that's experienced it. Recently I started working on a change for that page so it uses a different type of processing but I haven't finished it yet. Sorry about that.

I know, a pain in the ass.

BTW, are you using Firefox? If so, can you open the "Error Console" (under the Window or View menu, I think OR Tools>Web Developer menu) and see if there are any Javascript errors listed when you get that error? I've never been able to replicate it, so I don't know if you even get one in Firefox.
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 7584
Joined: 7/25/2004
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
Contact:

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:36 pm

^^^
In addition to whether or not you're using Firefox, are you using a secure connection to 14ers.com while adding the TR? (meaning HTTPS: on the front of the url)

Also, can you seen the recent forum topics on the right side of the 14ers.com home page when you're having the problem on the TR page? This would require opening another browser tab to see if they are displayed. I ask because the home page uses similiar code to the TR add-another-peak thingy.
User avatar
Dancesatmoonrise
Posts: 2141
Joined: 9/25/2009
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (43)

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:47 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:^^^
In addition to whether or not you're using Firefox, are you using a secure connection to 14ers.com while adding the TR? (meaning HTTPS: on the front of the url)

Also, can you seen the recent forum topics on the right side of the 14ers.com home page when you're having the problem on the TR page? This would require opening another browser tab to see if they are displayed. I ask because the home page uses similiar code to the TR add-another-peak thingy.


Thanks, Bill.
I'm not much of a computer guy... so here goes.
Not using Firefox. Yes, can see the recent forum topics on home page.

Did get this from clicking the error on page thingy:
Line: 36
Char: 9
Error: permission denied
Code: 0
URL: http//14ers.com/php14ers/tripadd.php

Any guesses? Maybe just shelve it for now and try later?

Again, thanks for the help and prompt response.

-Jim
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 7584
Joined: 7/25/2004
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
Contact:

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:00 pm

Hmm,

I noticed your URL has now "www" - not sure if you typed that into your post here or pasted it in. If your accessing 14ers.com without the "www", trying getting to the TR add page by using the full "www" URL, like this:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripadd.php

That might make a difference, but I don't know. If so, they I think we may have solved this one.

Let me know if that works or not and then I'll try one more change...
Thanks, Jim
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 7584
Joined: 7/25/2004
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
Contact:

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:04 pm

HOLY COW, THAT'S IT!

It's the lack of "www" that messes up the AJAX (geek time) code since it thinks it's crossing domains (geekity geek). I was able to replicate it and have a fix.

Jim, your "Permission Denied" message was the key. Thanks so much!

Just changed the code so it doesn't matter if you enter http://www.14ers.com or http://14ers.com
User avatar
Dancesatmoonrise
Posts: 2141
Joined: 9/25/2009
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (43)

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Interesting. But I think it's still a variable problem. IE puts in the url for you when you start with "14ers". The URL it uses is the full deal. I did it this way before, and no-go. I just did it this way now, and it's working.

In the future, I'll check to make sure the full URL is in there if/when it's not working, and reply back.
User avatar
d_baker
Posts: 2480
Joined: 11/18/2007
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (197)

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby d_baker » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Jim, depending on what peak and/or attempt you're writing a TR for, the "access denied" could make for a good title! ;)

Edit: make that, "permission denied"
Last edited by d_baker on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 7584
Joined: 7/25/2004
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
Contact:

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Interesting. But I think it's still a variable problem. IE puts in the url for you when you start with "14ers". The URL it uses is the full deal. I did it this way before, and no-go. I just did it this way now, and it's working.

In the future, I'll check to make sure the full URL is in there if/when it's not working, and reply back.

Shouldn't matter now - I changed the code to be more flexible. That's why it's working now.

Thanks again, Jim.
User avatar
d_baker
Posts: 2480
Joined: 11/18/2007
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (197)

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby d_baker » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 pm

off topic, but Bill, when did you add the colored stars next to the user's peak list check mark thing(y)?
kind of cool! does it do on 13ers too? I haven't looked yet...
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 7584
Joined: 7/25/2004
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
Contact:

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:31 pm

d_baker wrote:off topic, but Bill, when did you add the colored stars next to the user's peak list check mark thing(y)?
kind of cool! does it do on 13ers too? I haven't looked yet...

Today. I'll be working on the 13ers stuff this afternoon, I hope.
tmathews
Posts: 3852
Joined: 7/2/2008
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Additional Peaks on TR page

Postby tmathews » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:35 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
d_baker wrote:off topic, but Bill, when did you add the colored stars next to the user's peak list check mark thing(y)?
kind of cool! does it do on 13ers too? I haven't looked yet...

Today. I'll be working on the 13ers stuff this afternoon, I hope.


Calendar winter! Awesome! =D>

Return to “Site Problems and Resolution”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests