pm's hanging

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.
somethingrandom
14er Checklist (16)
13er Checklist (3)

pm's hanging

Postby somethingrandom » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Now I have two PM's hanging in "outbox" that have not sent and cant figure out why they are not sending??
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
Monster5
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (23)
13er Checklist (278)

Re: pm's hanging

Postby Monster5 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Are you sure the recipient has read the message? Or that they still exist? I think I currently have a test-message hung up because the user was deleted.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
tmathews
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby tmathews » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Your PM's will show in the "Outbox" until the recipient(s) read them. Then they will show up in "Sent messages".
somethingrandom
14er Checklist (16)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby somethingrandom » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:53 pm

No, but I dont think they would hang in the outbox would they? They should be sent either way ya?
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
tmathews

Postby tmathews » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:58 pm

somethingrandom wrote:No, but I dont think they would hang in the outbox would they? They should be sent either way ya?

They won't disappear from "Outbox" until the recipient(s) read them. I've had a PM sitting in my Outbox for over 2 weeks now, but I know that's because the recipient doesn't log in often.
somethingrandom
14er Checklist (16)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby somethingrandom » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:12 pm

tmathews wrote:They won't disappear from "Outbox" until the recipient(s) read them. I've had a PM sitting in my Outbox for over 2 weeks now, but I know that's because the recipient doesn't log in often.

Ok... That works. I figured they would go and be gone. Thank you both for the knowledge. Bill... Want to alter this?

Monster5
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (23)
13er Checklist (278)

Postby Monster5 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:21 pm

somethingrandom wrote: Bill... Want to alter this?

I actually find it pretty useful. For example, if you're tentatively discussing a trip with somebody via pm, you get a better idea of where those plans are at and if you should look for something else. If you don't know whether or not the recipient has read the message, then you end up in a bind Friday night when you're looking to climb something Saturday.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
somethingrandom
14er Checklist (16)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby somethingrandom » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:42 pm

While that really pisses me off, and it does... If the PM manager says it is going to be sent, that tells me that it is not yet sent.

kansas

Postby kansas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:04 am

somethingrandom wrote:While that really pisses me off, and it does... If the PM manager says it is going to be sent, that tells me that it is not yet sent.

](*,)
I found this interesting quote in your signature...
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a-hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:42 am

Again, PMs sit in the Outbox until they are read by the recipient.

That's just the way the authors wrote the forum software.
"I have made it through the things others would surely die just watching"
- Megadeth
tmathews

Postby tmathews » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:18 am

I found this amusing:

pms.jpg
PMS
pms.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 506 times

I didn't realize that was such a common forum topic. I must miss all those threads. :shock:

Return to “Site Problems and Resolution”