Private Messages Hanging

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.
Papillon
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (31)
13er Checklist (323)

Private Messages Hanging

Postby Papillon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:30 am

When I try to send a PM, the message goes into my Outbox and then stays there for days. I've had intermittent success in sending these as well. If one gets stuck, I'll go in, copy the text, delete the message from my Outbox and then create a new one, paste the text, and then fire it off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

I've tried on three different systems (1 PC, 2 Mac) and two different internet connections (work, home). There are two in my Outbox right now that I've been trying to send since Saturday.

Thanks for your help.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
fleetmack
14er Checklist (39)
13er Checklist (2)

Re: Private Messages Hanging

Postby fleetmack » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:32 am

it stays in the "outbox" until the recipient claims (reads) it, then it moves to the "sent items"... at least this is how it worked in phpbb2 ... i took my website down at the beginning of the year so don't really use it anymore though, so someone may want to verify that phpbb3 works this way as well...
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 am

Correct. PMs stay in your outbox until they are read by the recipient. They then show up in your sent box.
"I have made it through the things others would surely die just watching"
- Megadeth
Papillon
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (31)
13er Checklist (323)

Postby Papillon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks for the replies. I suspected it might be that.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
tmathews
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby tmathews » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:04 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Correct. PMs stay in your outbox until they are read by the recipient. They then show up in your sent box.

Question -- if you delete a PM from the Outbox, will the message still be delivered to the recipient(s)?

Oh, and here's another one: I noticed that if you send PM's to multiple recipients and then continue to have conversations with the individuals separately, the conversations will show up in everyone's Message History regardless of whether a reply was sent to the entire group. Can all of those recipients see the individual conversations as well?

For example: I send a PM to jam6880, lakecityrat, wildlobo71, globehugger, and kansas. jam6880 and kansas PM me back and I have separate conversations with them. The PM from jam6880 will show up in the Message History I had with kansas and vice versa. Does that make sense? I'd do a screen cap, but I don't want any private conversations pasted here. I'm just curious to know if that Message History window allows people to see conversations that aren't necessarily meant for their eyes.
unclegar
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby unclegar » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:17 pm

Another PM thought:

When you send a PM to multiple people, I believe it will go to your Sent folder when the first person reads it. Would it be possible for it to be distinguishable as to who read the message or better yet an indication as to when each person read it. In the past I have decided to send the same message several times to different individuals so that I can tell when (if) the individuals actually did receive the message. This should probably be in the how can I improve thread... [-X
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
sunny1
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (122)

Postby sunny1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:24 pm

unclegar wrote: This should probably be in the how can I improve thread... [-X

Whoa...you have your own thread? Taking suggestions? :mrgreen: :lol:
How did I miss this?
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
unclegar
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby unclegar » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:15 pm

sunny1 wrote:
unclegar wrote: This should probably be in the how can I improve thread... [-X

Whoa...you have your own thread? Taking suggestions? :mrgreen: :lol:
How did I miss this?

:lol: Definitely need my own thread on that. Just ask my wife. :wink: But...I was referring to Bill's thread.

Hope you're keeping busy. I just climbed Estes Cone on a whim yesterday. Didn't leave until 4:10pm. Got up and back on the main trail before dusk so the retirement slippers haven't overcome me yet. :)
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
tmathews
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby tmathews » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:02 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Correct. PMs stay in your outbox until they are read by the recipient. They then show up in your sent box.

I just noticed something today. When I mouse-over my handle on the 14ers.com home page -- in the "Account Info" popup, I have "Unread PMs Sent: 1". What does that mean? I had a PM sitting in my outbox since October because the person I sent it to doesn't visit the site too often. Do PMs automatically clear out of the outbox if it isn't read after a certain period of time?

Return to “Site Problems and Resolution”