Early Season 14ers?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mrobert
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Early Season 14ers?

Post by mrobert »

Started my 14er quest last year. Got 8 done and plan on doing 7-10 a year until completed. Are any of them more likely to be accessible without significant snow early in the season? Now? April? May? Would be useful to increase the length of the season. Please let me know any thoughts. Much appreciated.
Last edited by mrobert on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Early Season 14ers?

Post by Scott P »

Are any of them more likely to be accessible without significant snow earlier in the season? Now? April? May?
Not that early. In the mountains, the snow is usually deepest in April. Some routes on the southern Sawatch 14ers might be relatively snow-free sometime in June.
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
huffy13
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

April and May are usually too early. Heck, I have had to delay hikes until July because the snow was still pretty thick in June or some of the trailheads were hard to get to due to excessive creek/meltoff flows. The best thing to do is just keep a constant eye on weather forecasts for the state or specific area you are wanting to head to and adjust as necessary. You are early enough into your quest that flexibility is still a luxury. The earliest I have bagged a 13er or 14er is June 9th, it was Mt. Sheridan and we had to improvise our route to avoid large cornices and lots of snow on the standard route... Sherman still had quite a bit of snow on the standard route just to the north I would say, from my experience, that mid-June is a good time for starting 14ers....but again, some years this may not be true.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

Dont let snow intimidate you too much. My first two 14ers were Quandary on May 2 and Grays in late May, both without snowshoes. As long as you can take advantage of a nice trench it's not too bad. You just have to make sure to time it right. And be resigned to doing some post-holing on occasion.
kkersey2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kkersey2 »

tjmartn1 wrote:Dont let snow intimidate you too much.

So hiking 14ers in late May throughout June, even if there's still snow on them, does this make them un-hikeable?
A little snow has never hurt anybody right? 8-[
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

14ering in May can be a "character-building" experience. Be prepared for knee-deep postholing in slush with snowshoes, slush-drifts on top of a bog, etc., especially below tree-line. Stick to the popular ones, which will have beaten paths, and the ones where you quickly get above treeline, and you won't suffer too much.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

mrobert wrote:<snip> Are any of them more likely to be accessible without significant snow early in the season? Now? April? May?
No.
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

If you are willing to accept the snow then I think it can be a great time to go, and it can be a miserable time. Early in the morning, when the snow is firm, you can really move across the frozen snow. I love hiking up 14ers in those conditions. Sometimes foot traction, self arrest, or snow shoes are essential, but if you keep to class 2 hikes (meaning not too steep, thus not as prone to avalanche or uncontrolled slips) on northern aspects it can be a lot of fun. For me the frustrating part is when it gets really warm and the trails turn into muddy bogs or the snow is so soft that even with snow shoes you sink in past your knees. I suggest you watch the weather and try to get out on days that are cooler than average, but warm enough to soften up the ice that typically forms overnight. If you have basic ice/snow equipment then give it a try and see if you like it.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

In a typical year, June 1 still has heavy snow while its mostly gone by July 1.
In drought years maybe once a decade, you may have low snow in May.
Conversely the snow may never melt in a late, heavy snow year.
2017 is currently 140% of normal, but its May weather that matters for early season.

I often do conditioning hikes off the high 12K passes that try to open by Memorial Day.
Loveland Pass is open year round. Then a 14er in late June.
kkersey2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kkersey2 »

pmeadco wrote:If you are willing to accept the snow then I think it can be a great time to go, and it can be a miserable time.
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I'll be in Denver from May 20th until July 7th and was looking to try to summit as many 14ers as I could. I'm from Atlanta GA, and hike the Southern part of the Appalachian's here in GA (nothing compared to the Rockies). However, I want to get the most out of my stay and do as much as I can. I'm 24 and in pretty good shape (also trying to train harder lately for CO).
It's sad to hear the weather may not permit for some of the 14ers, I figure I could at least tackle the Front Range being that it's fairly close to Denver.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
huffy13
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

By late June to early July you should be able to get some great hikes in. Grays and Torreys should be ok by the beginning of July. If you don't mind a scenic drive you could head towards the Leadville/ Salida/Arkansas River area and get a bunch of Sawatch 14ers....my favorites being Shavano, Huron and Yale. Pikes isn't far either. Don't forget that there are some fantastic 12ers and 13ers out there that are just as scenic, if not more so, and less crowded...especially when compared to the Front Range peaks.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

kkersey2 wrote:<snip>
Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Don't drive up snowy approach roads.