Video of Krupicka's FKT on the Longs Peak Triathlon

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
13ers
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Video of Krupicka's FKT on the Longs Peak Triathlon

Post by 13ers »

Will belay for free.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Video of Krupicka's FKT on the Longs Peak Triathlon

Post by justiner »

Crushers. Stefan went back the next week and solo'd it (bike part, too)
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

A few friends and I were talking about this and we didn't think the video does Griebel justice. The guy is an absolute badass (Naked Edge speed record...). The video kind of comes off as the Krupicka show with Griebel the bumbler behind and costing them major time. It is an incredible feat by both though!
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
geol_climber
14ers: 39 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by geol_climber »

This thing, (as pointed out in the beginning of the video), has been going for a long time. I used to do this with Chuck V and other world renown triathletes back in the 90's/early 00's before 'technology' when we just wanted a good workout. I really enjoyed the video and loved that a point was made that Tony was a fast downhiller.. Uh, isnt that best way to make the most time so why wouldn't he be fast....Uphill is great but downhill is for the true runners. The brick of biking then running is tough. Tony going for a real triathlon with swimming?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

It makes sense that it's focusing on Anton, as he's the La Sportiva Athlete that La Sportiva is making the video about. Stefan IS a total beast though. I don't even know where to start? Perhaps his three kids, wife, and his full time engineering job. And all that other stuff he does on the side :) Of all my trips this year to Longs, I've only seen two other bikes at the TH, and one of them was Stefan's, when he was up soloing the Diamond. The time he did it with Anton was his 5th Longs Peak Triathlon.

I'm not sure how commonplace riding to Longs to do a route on the Diamond is - I want to say it's a pretty small fraternity, with names like Bill/Roger Briggs, Bill Wright, Neil Biedleman, etc. Doing it unsupported is smaller still.
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Watching the video and reading Justin's latest trip report on Longs just made me realize how fat and out of shape I am :wft:

I don't know that I would ever come close to doing anything like this, but I bet I'm going to have a good time trying. Of course I will be doing the much less impressive, athletic, and overall skilled version of it all.
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Seems like both Anton's and Stefan's strengths complimented and pushed the other team member and led to a better time as a team overall, simply amazing.

Cool to see Stefan on a bit of an older bike for such an endeavor.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

It is always inspiring to see the feats pulled off by these uber-athletes. I am in awe when I am huffing and puffing up the foothills around Boulder and Krupicka comes running past on his quest to knock off 10k of elevation gain for a typical training day. Thank you very much for showing the capabilities of a person with perfect training and conditioning.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Enjoyable video. And it's useful for keeping our egos in check, for those of us who are less elite. Or not at all elite...
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

No matter how badass you think you are in Boulder there's always someone badder...

Stefan went back 5 days later and did the Longs Tri in 9:22, soloing the Casual. Yikes!
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

bah, I can do that in my sleep.

and only in my dreams :lol:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Awesome video. Not to sound like their mothers, but how about using lights on your bicycles ? Were they counting on the filming crew to block the traffic and light the road for them ?