First Trip to Colorado

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FrankHikes
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First Trip to Colorado

Post by FrankHikes »

Jim Davies wrote:Quandary has year-round trailhead access.
Thank you for your input
FrankHikes
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FrankHikes »

sarahhaubert wrote:Elbert was icy up high on Monday, as of today it is fully covered in snow but...that might melt off if this crazy weather continues, or it might get 4ft up there in the next week (which would be normal this time of year). Normally this time of year you'd need flotation below treeline and microspikes above.
I should probably pick up snow shoes
FrankHikes
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FrankHikes »

sigepnader wrote:I second the person who mentioned Loveland Pass. Grab Sniktau, the two UN peaks, and Cupid. Maybe Quandary if you want a 14er that bad. I would almost recommend Twinning over by Independence Pass as well.

What is your skill level?
Doesn't sound like a bad idea

I'm been working on the California 14ers all summer and fall
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

If you have been working on the California 14ers this summer and fall, then the Colorado ones will be generally a cakewalk. Our rating system is about one level higher than California's (our Class 4 peaks are often similar to California Class 3). Our trailheads tend to be at 10,000' elevation, as opposed to the 6-8,000' of California THs.

Check back in the middle of next week for a more up-to-date snow report since mountains like Elbert could be either really fun or extremely challenging. I am sure that you can find plenty of other people going up 14ers during those dates if the weather is nice.