Private group acquiring Mount Shavano summit

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yardman
14ers: 48  2  3 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Private group acquiring Mount Shavano summit

Post by yardman »

Breaking news about another private 14er! CFI has just learned that a private group has acquired the rights to purchase the actual summit block of Mount Shavano. Recent field work, including locating a 1902 minerals survey post, confirms that the summit of Shavano is not on Forest Service land as has long been depicted on maps. In fact, the upper slopes and summit are actually located on one of three old mining claims that this entity has acquired the rights to buy.

But don't freak out; help out! Colorado Fourteeners Initiative is the group that has signed option agreements in place with the three landowners to acquire the summit block of Shavano. Acquiring the land is part of an effort to build a new, sustainably designed summit trail on Shavano, one of the worst-rated 14ers in the state. The Forest Service would not allow route planning to proceed until private access was resolved. We figured that buying the lands and eventually transferring them to the Forest Service was the quickest and most effective way of gaining access rights and protecting this peak.

CFI has funding requests pending to raise most of the $40,500 needed for these land purchases. However, we still have a gap of $5,000 (possibly more) to close the deals. If you were looking for another reason to give to CFI, here it is! As an incentive, Brad and Melissa McQueen have generously pledged to match the first $1,000 in contributions for this effort. An even stronger reason to give today.

Click the following link to give directly to CFI. Put "Shavano land acquisition" in the notes field if you want your gift directed to this effort. https://interland3.donorperfect.net/web ... 14ers&id=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
MtShavano_with_Comparison Map--Small.jpg
MtShavano_with_Comparison Map--Small.jpg (229.76 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Private group acquiring Mount Shavano summit

Post by bmcqueen »

Great work Lloyd and CFI team! The ability ensure continued legal access to the summit of Shavano and to be able to construct the new sustainably designed trail are great accomplishments. Hopefully the match offer from me and 2toes helps raise the necessary funds.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

yardman wrote:one of the worst-rated 14ers in the state.
In what way? I thought that trail was great.

Why do people still purchase these old mining claims on land that'll more than likely never be mine-able?
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

AyeYo wrote:
I assume he's referring to the myriad of social trails on the summit cone.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Cool! But I don't see a "notes" field on the donation page??
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
yardman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yardman »

Just use the "tribute" field to list any Shavano land acquisition gifts. Sorry to not be more specific about the field.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

AyeYo wrote:Why do people still purchase these old mining claims on land that'll more than likely never be mine-able?
Because the land is in demand - it's a 14er, there's a history of people being able to go there, and if you take it away people will raise hell. The landowners can use this as leverage to try to get the FS to swap for the land they really want. This is what happened with the Rock of Ages fiasco, and I believe there have been several other incidents where landowners dangled "popular" land to get the FS to give them property that they really want or that was in actuality more valuable than what they actually had.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

yardman wrote:Just use the "tribute" field to list any Shavano land acquisition gifts. Sorry to not be more specific about the field.
Thanks! Donation made.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Doug Shaw wrote:
AyeYo wrote:Why do people still purchase these old mining claims on land that'll more than likely never be mine-able?
Because the land is in demand - it's a 14er, there's a history of people being able to go there, and if you take it away people will raise hell. The landowners can use this as leverage to try to get the FS to swap for the land they really want. This is what happened with the Rock of Ages fiasco, and I believe there have been several other incidents where landowners dangled "popular" land to get the FS to give them property that they really want or that was in actuality more valuable than what they actually had.
Kind of messed up, but pretty interesting.
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

Doug Shaw wrote:
Yeah, I remember this A-hole.

http://www.eenews.net/stories/90405

http://www.denverpost.com/2010/05/10/co ... ilderness/
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
yardman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yardman »

AyeYo wrote:

Why do people still purchase these old mining claims on land that'll more than likely never be mine-able?
CFI did a detailed, foot-by-foot inventory of all the work needed on the Shavano trail. The attached file provides a sense of what needs to happen to the trail. Every icon is either something new to be constructed (blue), the condition of an existing feature or an environmental problem to be remedied. The USFS has planned a full re-route on the upper slopes to provide a sustainable route that will lessen the erosion occurring on the existing social trail, which is substantial. Lots of stabilization, restoration and revegetation needed on the upper slopes of the mountain to repair all of the hiker-caused damage.

As to the second question, patented hardrock mining claims essentially become private lands that can be bought and sold like other private lands. Depending upon county building regulations people can often build remote mountain cabins in the middle of the public forest. A super high altitude claim (like those on Shavano) don't have much, if any, development potential, but claims near forest roads can be quite valuable.
Attachments
Shavano_Overview (003).jpg
Shavano_Overview (003).jpg (91.23 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

Richard Derkase wrote:
Dakota wrote:Yeah, I remember this A-hole.
There are worse examples.

https://www.tpl.org/magazine/back-top-landpeople" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dick
Dang, Rusty Nichols is even a cooler land tycoon super villain name.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein