Original 14er list?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Original 14er list?

Post by Scott P »

I have a book that states that the first people to complete the Colorado 14ers were Carl Blaudrock and William Ervin in 1923, however the book also states that there were only 47 14ers recognized at the time (though it doesn't say which ones made of the list of 47).

I know Holy Cross was once thought to be a 13er, and Stewart and Grizzly were once thought to be 14ers, and that Ellingwood Point was considered to be a subsidiary peak to Blanca by some sources, but what 47 peaks were on the original list and which ones are missing? Does anyone here know?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Original 14er list?

Post by TravelingMatt »

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was a list of 50, published by the state, and includes a few unranked peaks, although I doubt anyone cared about prominence back then.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

I suspect the list was probably published in an issue of Trail & Timberline, a publication of the Colorado Mountain Club. Old copies of T&T are still available at the library of the American Mountaineering Center in Golden, or at least they were available to the public about 15 years ago. So, if nobody knows, that would be the place to look.
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

Interesting topic. The old list on the linked page has some peaks with incorrect elevations by more than 100ft. Obviously surveying equipment has improved significantly since then, but perhaps not all the peaks slightly under 14,000 have been surveyed since. Does anyone have a good idea about the likelihood of a marginal peak such as Grizzly being measured to at least 14,000ft?
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

I have a 1894 map that shows Simpson Peak @ 14,035 (it's not even a 13k peak) as the only Hinsdale County 14er as Sunshine, Redcloud, Handies, Unc and Wetterhorn aren't listed. Ron
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Scott P wrote:I have a book that states that the first people to complete the Colorado 14ers were Carl Blaudrock and William Ervin in 1923, however the book also states that there were only 47 14ers recognized at the time (though it doesn't say which ones made of the list of 47).

I know Holy Cross was once thought to be a 13er, and Stewart and Grizzly were once thought to be 14ers, and that Ellingwood Point was considered to be a subsidiary peak to Blanca by some sources, but what 47 peaks were on the original list and which ones are missing? Does anyone here know?
According to my copy of Ormes Guide to the Colorado Mountains (8th ed.), Missouri, Huron, Holy Cross, and Ellingwood were additions to the original 47 list. Bueler's Roof of the Rockies mentions that Capitol was an addition to the list. And goes on to say that by the 1940's, there were 52 recognized 14ers.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Here's the list of 47, from the 1925 CMC publication "Fourteen Thousand Feet" by John Hart. I assume my copy is a reprint; it's a library discard stamped "Aug 1979".
fourteeners_1925.JPG
fourteeners_1925.JPG (273.13 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Thanks guys! This is very interesting information.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

tobiasfunke wrote:Interesting topic. The old list on the linked page has some peaks with incorrect elevations by more than 100ft. Obviously surveying equipment has improved significantly since then, but perhaps not all the peaks slightly under 14,000 have been surveyed since. Does anyone have a good idea about the likelihood of a marginal peak such as Grizzly being measured to at least 14,000ft?
This site's own Spiderman has done it...
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Comparing the 1925 CMC list and 1942 state highway map list:

Grizzly A was on the '25 list but dropped by '42 (and not now considered a 14er)
Stewart was on both lists (and not now considered a 14er)
Oxford, Little Bear, and El Diente were not on the '25 list but are on the '42 list (and are all considered above 14K now, although El Diente is of course unranked)
Cameron is not on the '25 list but makes the '42 list
Quandary is listed in the Mosquito range on the '25 list

I didn't compare the elevations too closely, but the elevation listed for Pikes has never changed, except for the 5' bump everything supposedly got a few years ago.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Interesting list Jim! I also noticed how different the quadrangle names are, I wonder when those got renamed so extensively!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Chicago Transplant wrote:Interesting list Jim! I also noticed how different the quadrangle names are, I wonder when those got renamed so extensively!
I believe the 7½-minute quads weren't a thing until after WW2. Not even all the Colorado mountains seem to have 15-minute quads -- CalTopo is missing a lot, although I'd think they would have been mapped relatively early due to mining and railroad interests.