Good climb for late October

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jjduhamel
Trip Reports (0)

Good climb for late October

Post by jjduhamel »

Hi,

This may get posted a lot. I searched around a while and couldn't find what I was looking for so I decided to create a new thread. If this is totally redundant just let me know...

Anyways... some friends and I planned a trip out to CO from 10/20-10/22. We've really wanted to climb Pyramid for a while, and being spoiled from the warm CA weather, we initially thought that weekend would work great (weather doesn't even start to become an issue for us until Thanksgiving). However, after some research, we learned that Pyramid is a whole different climb in October than say, mid-August.

Now, we're still potentially interested in trying Pyramid. We're all very comfortable doing big climbs like this. However, none of us have done a climb this big where snow, daylight, and weather were a real issue. So my question to you is... would we be totally reckless to attempt Pyramid at that time of year? If so, could anyone recommend a different 14er that would be better at that time of year? We looked into Castle, but it looks totally boring. We were looking forward to being in Aspen that weekend, but we could change our plans to go to pretty much any of the 14ers.

Thanks!

John
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Good climb for late October

Post by Scott P »

So my question to you is... would we be totally reckless to attempt Pyramid at that time of year?
That depends. Do you know when to turn back? If you have no problems turning back when conditions warrant, then it wouldn't be too reckless. If you get in over your head and don't know when to turn back then it would be reckless.

Either way, I'd expect some icy and dicey conditions.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Castle might not be as boring as you think.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
ReverendRun71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ReverendRun71 »

This time of year, Castle is more challenging than in summer as you may have to climb up and around some ice on the Standard route. Definitely a safer option than Pyramid, IMO. Castle is also quite beautiful this time of year. The added plus with castle are the many mining ruins.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Concur with the above.

Snow has definitely been sticking in the higher elevations of the Elks for the past few weeks - particularly on shaded/north facing aspects.

Also: you might already be aware of this, but the Aspen webcams are a great resource for getting a sense of up-to-date conditions on the high Elk peaks:

http://aspen.roundshot.com/highlands/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ajstack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajstack »

I did Lindsey with a couple guys from 14ers this past Saturday. Conditions were great on the Northwest Ridge. There was snow/ice on the easier North Face route. It was like a summer day. Beautiful hike. That may be an option.
"In heaven, all the interesting people are missing."
-Nietzsche
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I would respectfully submit that hikes which might be boring in late August will probably be a lot more interesting with snow, ice, below freezing temperatures, and 30mph+ winds.
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

Daylight wouldn't be a problem on Pyramid. Depending on your experience and level of comfort in snow/ice it might not be a good idea, however.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

jjduhamel wrote:
Now, we're still potentially interested in trying Pyramid. We're all very comfortable doing big climbs like this. However, none of us have done a climb this big where snow, daylight, and weather were a real issue. So my question to you is... would we be totally reckless to attempt Pyramid at that time of year?
I don't know your climbing resume, but if you are not very experienced with climbing 14ers in snow/ice, don't start with Pyramid Peak. There are plenty of choices were you'd have just as much fun and gain some good experience. If you're coming from California, I would suggest the San Juans: Handies Peak, Sunshine/Redcloud, Uncompahgre are some good options.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Anything in the Sangres is spectacular right now - summer conditions with plenty of daylight, great daytime temps, and no mosquitoes or monsoon. Best weather of the year (still).
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

At risk of stating the obvious, it all depends on the current conditions. We did Pyramid exactly one year ago and had a great day, with no ice and practically no snow. With all the warm weather we have had lately you may find that it is fine when you go. I suggest watching conditions and have a plan B if it isn't looking good.