North Eolus name

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: North Eolus name

Post by TallGrass »

KentonB wrote:Officially, it is "North Eolus" (No "Mount", "Mountain", or "Peak") according to the U.S. Geological Survey: http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=136:3 ... th%20Eolus
Hmm, I wonder if this would be easier for folks wanting to check off Sunlight Peak but not deal with the summit block... or thinner air. http://geonames.usgs.gov/...TITLE:174801,Sunlight_Peak

Personally, I prefer North Æolus. Ironic how it's easier to write that via phone than a laptop (long press "A").
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
gorshkov
14ers: 39 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gorshkov »

Doug Shaw wrote:
SoCool wrote:Agreed. A fitting name would be, "Silly Little Extra Bump on a Ridge, Requiring Only a Few Minutes of Easy Scrambling, Important Only For Those Seeking Completion of an Overall Worthwhile, but Entirely Arbitrary, List Called Colorado 14'ers."
Our first Icelandic-themed summit in CO! Glad I summited good old Slebrrofmesioftscowealcc while I was up there.

... no, even as an awkward acronym it's still too easy to pronounce.
Actually, we already have one of those. There's a volcano in Iceland called Mt. Snaefels.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

* Mt. Snæfell

Snæfellsjökull
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

How about “Mount driving half way across the state and almost missing the train, packing back all my crap (and more) in the scorching sun, fighting the mountain goats for a camping spot (and a quiet place to pee), climbing underrated Mt. Eolus, then saying, WTF, since I’m so close I might as well climb you as well Peak-f”. Notice how I managed to fit Mt. and Pk. into that name :mrgreen:
Century Bound, eventually.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Better summit than most. Nice solid rock. More challenging than Bross. I liked it, myself.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Oman wrote:It's not a mountain.
Many of us can't wait to join you for your finisher party! I think Dick might even come! On other news... some of the best summits I've had are unranked. Mountains laugh at our silly 300 foot rule... just saying! The view from North Eolus Point is great... but I'm sure you kn... never mind.
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

JChitwood wrote:...My advice would be to hike up Jupiter while you're there ...
Totally agree. Beautiful view of the surrounding mountains and peaks:
from Jupiter_dnsz..jpg
from Jupiter_dnsz..jpg (70.88 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Eolus_dnsz.jpg
Eolus_dnsz.jpg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 712 times
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz