Trip Reports

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seano732
14ers: 7  4 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Trip Reports

Post by seano732 »

droidly wrote:
Bill, you have to change the accessibility for trip reports on the 14ers.com site. It is antiquated and you need to make some changes. I mean, I have to cut and paste the /img/1/img html tag for every photo!?! Is this 1990? That should be a point /click function. Really, you should take a look at this. I think it limits people from providing important information. You have to make it easier for people to use. I hate to say it, but this is killing the site. I love what you do, but you have got to update the process.

This is pure gold...... Bill, did you catch all those things that Ingrate Droidly told you you HAVE to do???? You should get on those, like yesterday..... And to Ingrate Droidly, and I mean this sincerely, if using this tremendous FREE website is causing your IT brain so much angst and worry.............

GTFO.

Really.
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks
seano732
14ers: 7  4 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano732 »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.41 KiB) Viewed 1141 times

Droidly in tough times.....
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

but but what about all the people that are using Facebook instead of 14ers.com? I hadn't noticed till you brought it up but there is a marked lack of duckface pics in our trip reports....
thanks Bill much appreciated the site and the crowd it attracts and doesn't attract
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
justiner wrote:The vim key bindings could be a little better.

There, I said it.

[code]:!wq[/code]
Nerd alert
I'm actually surprised my reports aren't peppered with that... Thank goodness for proof reading!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

bergsteigen wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:
justiner wrote:The vim key bindings could be a little better.

There, I said it.

[code]:!wq[/code]
Nerd alert
I'm actually surprised my reports aren't peppered with that... Thank goodness for proof reading!
ed
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Don't you people start an editor war. [-X
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

dpage wrote:I can't believe I'm missing an epic Bierstadt report.
Complete with cell phone pictures no less
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

droidly wrote:How dare you trivialize the effort that people have been training to achieve what, in their life, may be the greatest thing they have ever done.
Kinda like you trivializing the effort that's been put into this website to provide you with loads of free information?

I would happily pay to be a part of this forum, because I'm not a demanding, entitled know-it-all. To echo other posters, feel free to GTFO of this forum.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

To the OP:

A few things to consider...

The TRs are time-consuming, but not difficult. If you don't want to take the time, then don't post a TR. Posting a TR is about telling a good story or, more importantly, contributing to the bank of knowledge therein.

If you're upset that people are saying we don't need another Bierstadt report, take a look how many there already are. When I was newer to this forum, I put up a TR on Huron. But I later realized people might rather see stuff on the tougher routes, or more obscure routes, or 13ers. There's a bunch out there on the beginner peaks. Standard on Torreys? Eh. Kelso Ridge? Dead Dog? Those will draw more interest. It's nothing against your experience, but if you're going to do a TR on Bierstadt, it needs to have a really damn good story/pics, or be part of the lesser-traveled routes.

And BTW, it's really bad form to bitch about a service that costs you nothing.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

JeffR wrote:feel free to GTFO of this forum.
I caught a ride from the 4WD TH at South Colony down to the 2WD TH today from some people who did just that (I hiked the standard route on Crestone Needle and they came up a 5.9 route on Ellingwood Arete and we chatted on the summit).

We had an interesting chat and they told me there's nothing here they need to read and that it's a waste of their time.

Which I disagree with, as the most recent TH condition report helped me decide not to drive to the upper TH after the deteriorating condition of the 4WD road.

I appreciate this site so much more now that I don't have a job where I stare at a computer screen with too much idle time on my hands between 8 to 5 on Monday to Friday, I'm too busy working to read about or participate in most of the garbage that gets posted during those hours.

Conditions reports and trailhead reports remain consistently useful, and I always appreciate a well written TR that has some effort put into it.

Thanks, Bill.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

A recap so I can close this one out. :)

1) Droidly must have missed the fact that there is an "insert image" button on the trip report edit toolbar (see image below). So, when typing up a report, all you have to do is put the picture number as a placeholder then go back and highlight each number and press the button. It's not the 90s, you don't have to copy/paste all of the IMG tag stuff.
2) Yes, there is a 12megapixel limit on each photo, when uploading. As I did with the Condition Report pages, I will change this soon so the max is ~22megapixel. I just have to implement some changes so only ~10 photos can be uploaded at a time. I don't have a server farm like Facebook, so I can't let the program upload 40 20megapixel images all at once. I'll get this done.
3) There's also the issue of photo captions possibly being lost when the photos fail the upload edits. I'll look into that when I make changes indicated above.

Thanks to all who posted positive comments!

/thread
trinsertphoto.jpg
trinsertphoto.jpg (436.26 KiB) Viewed 681 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs