Trip Reports

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Trip Reports

Post by jdorje »

Pretty sure the site predates the smartphone. Kids these days! Everyone knows you have to resize your photos before you can upload them to the internet; if you don't then your 56 kbit moden won't get them there before your next trip.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

jdorje wrote:Pretty sure the site predates the smartphone. Kids these days! Everyone knows you have to resize your photos before you can upload them to the internet; if you don't then your 56 kbit moden won't get them there before your next trip.
56k? 14.4 was blistering speed back in the day. Of course I'm old enough to have had an Apple IIc as my first computer so....yeah...
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Droidly, you should try Summit Post. I hear it's really user friendly. For this site, we honestly can get by without yet another Bierstadt report. I personally think the TR publishing process on 14ers is ridiculously easy (and I have zero IT background). Wouldn't mind seeing it a bit harder, hopefully to clamp down on # of summer Bierstadt/Quandary etc. reports.
droidly
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by droidly »

SnowAlien wrote:Droidly, you should try Summit Post. I hear it's really user friendly. For this site, we honestly can get by without yet another Bierstadt report. I personally think the TR publishing process on 14ers is ridiculously easy (and I have zero IT background). Wouldn't mind seeing it a bit harder, hopefully to clamp down on # of summer Bierstadt/Quandary etc. reports.

Ugh.. "we can get by without yet another Bierstadt report"?! That sickens me. Many people who have have not experienced the beauty and splendor of the Colorado Rockies have benefited from seeing trip reports from people who have summited before them and that encourages them to achieve something they thought they could never do. You must be a child. I am 60 years old with 13 summits and my 80 year old mother-in-law is preparing to summit next season. These reports matter. How dare you trivialize the effort that people have been training to achieve what, in their life, may be the greatest thing they have ever done. Information is essential. You need to take a good look at yourself. BTW this thread is not about Beirstadt or any other peak.
----------------------------------------------------------
we're at the end of the map. there be monsters here. ~barbossa
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

I'm a technically incompetent geezer and have posted 3 reports, so it can't be too difficult.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

dpage wrote:The worst part of the rant is that the OP was successful in uploading the trip report.
lol. The OP has a little more courage than I would have in that situation. I don't think I'd bother with the TR after a rant like that. I wouldn't want to deal with observing a bunch of people "dislike" my report.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

This thread made my morning!

I'll admit the TR edit page needs some updates but, yes, there's an image button on the edit page which inserts the IMG tags on highlighted text. Just like there are buttons for other formatting. You don't have to cut/paste bbcode tags in the report text unless you want to or don't know the buttons are available. As far as the photo text being lost when the file size edits fail, I'll take a look at that.

And, no, I don't need someone else to help me with the site programming. Thanks anyway
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

get it together bill
Vincit Qui Patitur
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Its been many years since I did a trip report, I did not know you could upload photos at all. I recall I uploaded my photos to a photobucket or webshots type site and did links to them. Does this mean 14ers.com is paying for the server space to store a kazillion photos & videos ? I love this site for the hiking and mountain chatter (even though my time to CO has been way too scant, too many options and too little time off), and a do enjoy a good trip report to a rather "typical" or "unoriginal" climb such as Bierstadt, if well done. If nothing else, a recent TR can tell allot about conditions for someone planning to climb in that region in the near future, saving the need for a "conditions" thread. Thanks to all who makes this site happen.
Best Regards
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

bergsteigen wrote: It would be nice for those without my particular skill set, to be able to upload an image and have the website do the scaling to the proper size.
I agree, but probably because I want the effort taken away from my part (i.e., I'm lazy).

I posted my first report in about two years over the summer, and I thought the process was not as easy as it used to be (from what I remember), so it did seem to take more time. However, it was a report I wanted to share (and be able to look back at for the memories) so I did what was needed to be done to post it, even linking photos to photobucket.

Shouldn't matter if it's a Bierstadt report, a Pyramid report, or a Lizard Head report, this site allows the sharing of stories and rants and information and inspiration. That's what makes Bills site special.
Comments like
For this site, we honestly can get by without yet another Bierstadt report
are not fair, especially when the poster has a report on Bierstadt. :lol:
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

Another easy option: Just link to your blog. I know a number of us on this site have blogs and do just that.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

droidly wrote:I am posting my trip reports on a PC. You have to cut and paste the /img/ tag for each image in a report. I'm just saying that there could be a more efficient way for the user. It's not rocket science. I'm happy to rewrite the code for this site if Bill is willing to contract me. It's not difficult.
To OP: no you don't. There's a far more efficient way for a user, you just haven't figured it out yet. ;)

I think the poster is a troll. 60 y.o. "IT manager" who can't figure out how to upload photos to a website with 457 Bierstadt reports, then finally does (via the long hard way) post a TR that doesn't meet the basic guidelines for a report. He must still be programming in Fortran.