Is trail on Mt Lindsey easy to follow

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sglm14
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 74 3
Trip Reports (0)

Is trail on Mt Lindsey easy to follow

Post by Sglm14 »

Hi- trying to get an idea of how hard or easy the trail is going up Lindsey via NW ridge. Can anyone compare it to Sunlight or Maroon? I found Sunlight very easy to follow. Thanks to everyone who contributed to putting so many cairns all the way up to the summit. Maroon Peak is a different story. I found it super difficult to find the trail. Pyramid was not as bad. Thanks in advance!!!
tsand
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Is trail on Mt Lindsey easy to follow

Post by tsand »

Lindsey NW ridge is relatively easy route finding. Stay on or just left of the ridge. At the crux go up the center chimney until you see a cairn on the left.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Very easy routefinding. Stay near the crest of the ridge, and when you get to the crux wall just pick whatever line works for you. Don't think you can get off route on this one.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

I would say Lindsey is comparable to Pyramid. With trail-finding skills, you'll manage okay. The standard route is extremely clear, but the ridge is a WAY better route by far.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

This one is fresh, we just went up and down NW Ridge on Sunday. I don't recall much of a trail or really that many cairns, but the route up the ridge is pretty obvious. As said before stay on or just left of the ridge. As you approach the crux, you can stay a little below and left of the ridge. This will save you some up then dropping back down to the base of the crux. Head up the crack and then bear left but I don't remember a cairn anywhere in the crux area to designate a left turn though. It was still relatively obvious when to bear left but there were two of us to consult on route finding. I can't compare it to Maroon Pk since we're hoping to try that one Sunday but the route finding was considerably easier than Pyramid.

I think everyone that came up the ridge Sunday descended that way as well, rather than descending the standard gully.

Don't underestimate the trail getting above tree line and then again gaining the iron nipple saddle. It's not hard to follow or anything but steeper than I was expecting after such a nice mellow start to the hike.

And speaking of below treeline, the creek crossing was throwing a number of people off. We came to what we thought was the creek crossing with a couple fairly narrow logs. After we crossed, there were lots of branches and willows that looked trampled. Then we realized we were off route and had crossed just a few feet too soon. When the trail leads to those aforementioned narrow logs, check to your right to see if the trail keeps going to an easier crossing with clear trail on the other side. It was easy to spot in the daytime, a little harder in the dark.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

fahixson wrote: And speaking of below treeline, the creek crossing was throwing a number of people off. We came to what we thought was the creek crossing with a couple fairly narrow logs. After we crossed, there were lots of branches and willows that looked trampled. Then we realized we were off route and had crossed just a few feet too soon. When the trail leads to those aforementioned narrow logs, check to your right to see if the trail keeps going to an easier crossing with clear trail on the other side. It was easy to spot in the daytime, a little harder in the dark.
This is true... I did this route a while back... maybe 3 years. We couldn't find any decent logs (either way) and ended up wading it (brr... cold). It looked like a variety of routes were used to cross the stream and there were a couple minor trails/trampled vegetation areas that had been created from folks trying to get back on route.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Sglm14
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 74 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sglm14 »

Thank you all so much for the information!!! Really appreciate it!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

When I did Lindsey a couple years ago I "hitch hiked" with another group since my lame friends never showed.
They split off and climbed the NW ridge while I headed for the standard gully route. Instead of taking the gully, I climbed the class 3 rocks/ledges alongside and to the right of the gully until reaching the top of the gully. I eventually climbed a talus/dirt slope to gain the ridge. Lo and behold there was my original hiking party headed my way! I saved a good 3 minutes. We all descended the route I ascended. It was sustained class 3, but on surprisingly solid rock. Fun route finding. Can't get off trail, but definitely stay focused. One wrong turn up there and you'll end up somewhere you don't want to be.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

"surprisingly solid" rock...that's what I thought, too, until the mountains proved otherwise. We're still in the Colorado Rockies, go into it assuming the rock wants to move rather than it being solid...
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Following the trail direct takes you to a broad stream crossing. There were logs to cross, but they got washed away. When I hiked up the Lily Lake route, I found another crossing (the trail goes uphill then back down to near creek level). Much more solid log and shorter crossing. Follow a trickle around a bus-sized rock and you'll find the Lindsey trail at the one clearing where there should be a Wilderness sign. Never saw the wooden sign but did see two firepits which shouldn't be there per the ranger I talked to. One had half burned or singed log 15" in diameter and several feet long which I rolled into the woods (yes, it was out cold). Mind the cairns lower down. Lot of social trail in the woods. I did the 4th class ridge up and gully down. Consider going for Iron Nipple and Huerfano Peak, a Centennial, if the weather holds before leaving the saddle.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

all i have to say is watch for the left turn after the rocks to start up the "gulch". on one attempt somehow my party seemed to pass over the stream and continue north to lilly lake? the ridge that divides the two didnt look inviting to try to hike over and it was a reversal until the correct turn was found ](*,)

as for first timers, this was my neighbors first 14er with me (not on previous attempt luckily for him)
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.