Maroon Bells Traverse 9/10??

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
blockMson
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Maroon Bells Traverse 9/10??

Post by blockMson »

Planning to do the traverse on Saturday. Driving late night Fri from Denver in order to hitch a taxi @ 4:45am on Sat from Aspen Highlands parking lot. Climbing buddy bailed on me today, so figured I would post this in case anyone wants to team up. Would prefer to have a buddy for obvious reasons, but I'm going regardless. Forecast is sunny, 0% precipitation, high of 52-58.

I climbed Capitol last weekend and that was sort of a turning point for me in terms of confidence and ambition. It was easy and I LOVED it. Crestone Needle is the other peak I bagged this summer that required scrambling and route finding. I realize this is a serious climb, and my level of experience is probably on the lower end of the spectrum of those who attempt this route. That being said, I'm young, fit, strong, and confident in my endurance and decision making abilities. I'm not bringing ropes, as I don't have the skills to use them and the general consensus on here is that they seem like overkill and even a precious time sink anyway.

I've studied the route(s) thoroughly and have read through enough beta to know the main obstacles and the options for ascending them.

If you're interested, feel free to PM or even text me (248.763.7179). This is my first post so my apologies if I did so in the wrong place or wrong manner.

Have a great weekend everyone!

-Adam
ultragirl
14ers: 46 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Maroon Bells Traverse 9/10??

Post by ultragirl »

Hi Adam,

Any interest in doing the traverse on Sunday instead?

BTW, I also thought Capitol was easier than all the hype surrounding this peak!
blockMson
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Maroon Bells Traverse 9/10??

Post by blockMson »

Has to be Saturday for me. I'm a bit of a diva when it comes to forecasts and feel much better about picture perfect than 40% chance of t storms, especially given the route time and travel time involved.

UPDATE: My climbing friend is back in. She's a strong climber as well, but we are open to anyone who wants to join in on the fun - provided you consider yourself an asset and not a liability :)