Like dogs through the hourglass

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Like dogs through the hourglass

Post by d_baker »

=D> for the title of this thread, these are the days of our lives.

We need more pictures of dogs roping up....
SuperCooperandSuperSteve.jpg
SuperCooperandSuperSteve.jpg (145.04 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
EDIT: additional photo and quote

Cooper, he's like, "What's the big deal about 5th class?"
Cooper.jpg
Cooper.jpg (154.84 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
"Usually, Cooper found the easiest moves first and the teams followed. I gave each climber two belays to reach the rappel station above the rock band. Cooper needed one boost." sgladbach
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Not a 14er, but.. :shock:

https://youtu.be/TiQvDAK0FS8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Lobojasper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lobojasper »

Trololol.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

goingup wrote:
TallGrass wrote:@WtW, do you have a pic of Loki actually stemming? The one posted just shows him standing on level ground. Can he ascend by himself that way, or does he just do it to hold his position while being raised or lowered?
I posted a photo in the North Maroon chimney a couple of pages back.
Goingup, you posted "here he is stemming the class four chimney on North Maroon like a baller" but Loki is clearly standing, not stemming.
LokiStandingInChimney.JPG
LokiStandingInChimney.JPG (50.6 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Contrast that to this stemming. Don't know if it's the same goat, but clearly the same location (see red circles).
MountainGoatsStemming.JPG
MountainGoatsStemming.JPG (109.56 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Source images one, two, and three.

@Polar the Troller, :roll:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Wandertheworld
14ers: 58  2  3 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Wandertheworld »

TallGrass wrote:@WtW, do you have a pic of Loki actually stemming? The one posted just shows him standing on level ground. Can he ascend by himself that way, or does he just do it to hold his position while being raised or lowered?
The picture by goingup was the only one taken of Loki going through the N. Maroon chimney. He can stem by himself on some dihedral rock, depending on the slope angle, but if it's too steep then he'll hold a stemmed position while I give him a boost by his bottom, where he can then continue advancing. We used this technique for the choke of the hourglass. For descents, I'll stem down in front of him facing out and he will follow, walking head first but putting his weight against my back so I am essentially catching him from falling forward. We've never done anything on parallel vertical rock that would require bridging maneuvers, and he's definitely never stemmed anything like that goat you have pictured.
For the N. Maroon chimney, the first and last moves are on almost vertical rock but they're not very tall, so in those sections we just lifted/lowered him by his harness.

On a slightly related topic, for Snowmass's S-ridge route, on the crux wall we had him on belay for safety but he was able to smear up the face by himself. The rest of us, meanwhile, had to crack climb just off to the right. I'm not sure what the slope angle is of that particular wall, but it's probably about the steepest he could do unassisted.
Wandertheworld
14ers: 58  2  3 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Wandertheworld »

polar wrote:But this piqued my curiosity, what work or task is Loki trained to perform as a service dog? In my training to work with therapy dogs, I learned that this is one of the questions you're allowed to ask of a service dog.
Hey Polar, I have sent you a DM.

To anyone else who may also be wondering: while I understand your curiosity, since this is a personal matter I won't be addressing the details on this very public forum.
BB_ME
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BB_ME »

Roger Edrinn wrote a picture book called "Colorado Fourteeners Grand Slam" published in 1991. He took his dog "El Diente" the Grand Slam dog up most of the fourteeners. Diente was a fuzzy little white mutt based on a picture taken while climbing Wilson Peak. Edrinn describes Diente running down the Little Bear hourglass in 30 seconds. Unfortunately Edrinn was struck by lightening and killed while climbing Capitol Peak in winter; I could never find out what happened to Diente and if he continued to climb solo.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

BB_ME wrote:Roger Edrinn wrote a picture book called "Colorado Fourteeners Grand Slam" published in 1991. He took his dog "El Diente" the Grand Slam dog up most of the fourteeners. Diente was a fuzzy little white mutt based on a picture taken while climbing Wilson Peak. Edrinn describes Diente running down the Little Bear hourglass in 30 seconrds. Unfortunately Edrinn was struck by lightening and killed while climbing Capitol Peak in winter; I could never find out what happened to Diente and if he continued to climb solo.
I'm pretty sure Roger Edrinn is still alive.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Wandertheworld wrote:
polar wrote:But this piqued my curiosity, what work or task is Loki trained to perform as a service dog? In my training to work with therapy dogs, I learned that this is one of the questions you're allowed to ask of a service dog.
Hey Polar, I have sent you a DM.
To anyone else who may also be wondering: while I understand your curiosity, since this is a personal matter I won't be addressing the details on this very public forum.
I respect your right to keep that info to yourself. Privacy is something most people have forsaken these days.
However, it's a key piece of information that might mitigate the flack you're getting.
You make many claims about your dog, but here on the interwebs, no one can verify this beyond some folks who know you already.
Personally, I'm not convinced, but would have to actually accompany you on a loose, rockfall-prone route to verify that your dog is safe on a mountain.
I doubt that's ever going to happen, so I'll settle for hoping I'm never below you and your dog on such a route and the hope that all your claims are true.
Stereotypes and general statements usually substitute for actual thinking in our world, but I feel like this still fits the "My dog doesn't do_______ like all the others" situations so commonly heard when others question the owner after an adverse event.
If a rock falls on me or my hiking partner(s) because of something preventable, any injury won't be any less harmful if accompanied by a "good" explanation.
Please don't take any of what I'm saying personally. We don't know each other and I hope you manage to summit all the peaks you wish to summit--but with no collateral damage.
After having dogs knock rocks down on me before, I'll take my safety over others' stories and remain steadfast in opposing the idea of taking dogs on routes where others can be put in danger d/t rockfall.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Matt wrote:I respect your right to keep that info to yourself. Privacy is something most people have forsaken these days. However, it's a key piece of information that might mitigate the flack you're getting. You make many claims about your dog, but here on the interwebs, no one can verify this beyond some folks who know you already. Personally, I'm not convinced,
"HIPA be damned, drop your pants and prove to ME (and any who ask) that your underwear is clean else we'll treat you like it isn't, digitally or otherwise. Our nosiness trumps your federally-protected privacy and enjoying the mountains too."

The OP was not WtW. Having a wheelchair or crutches still obliges you not to knock, hit, or roll over anyone else, but it doesn't obligate you to disclose your full medical dossier then demonstrate you're ability to safely use them to the satisfaction of every John Q. Public in line at Starbucks. The point of a service dog is to allow the owner to integrate into world as just another human with all the rights, rewards and risks it offers -- you're a person, not a condition. Boot or paw, the liability rests on WtW's shoulders, just as anything we might dislodge rests on ours. If it passed federal muster (RMNP) then that's good enough for me and they're just another hiker.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
shizupple
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shizupple »

TallGrass wrote:
Matt wrote:I respect your right to keep that info to yourself. Privacy is something most people have forsaken these days. However, it's a key piece of information that might mitigate the flack you're getting. You make many claims about your dog, but here on the interwebs, no one can verify this beyond some folks who know you already. Personally, I'm not convinced,
"HIPA be damned, drop your pants and prove to ME (and any who ask) that your underwear is clean else we'll treat you like it isn't, digitally or otherwise. Our nosiness trumps your federally-protected privacy and enjoying the mountains too."

The OP was not WtW. Having a wheelchair or crutches still obliges you not to knock, hit, or roll over anyone else, but it doesn't obligate you to disclose your full medical dossier then demonstrate you're ability to safely use them to the satisfaction of every John Q. Public in line at Starbucks. The point of a service dog is to allow the owner to integrate into world as just another human with all the rights, rewards and risks it offers -- you're a person, not a condition. Boot or paw, the liability rests on WtW's shoulders, just as anything we might dislodge rests on ours. If it passed federal muster (RMNP) then that's good enough for me and they're just another hiker.
=D> Very well put =D>
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Matt wrote:After having dogs knock rocks down on me before, I'll take my safety over others' stories and remain steadfast in opposing the idea of taking dogs on routes where others can be put in danger d/t rockfall.
If people can knock rocks down too, are you also opposing the idea of people on routes with rockfall danger?
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign