Mt. Blanca speed record?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hjelmstadlt
14ers: 42  1  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (2)

Mt. Blanca speed record?

Post by Hjelmstadlt »

Does anyone happen to know of any speed records for an ascent of Mt. Blanca from its base? I've found a bunch for the whole group but was curious if there was one for just Blanca.
"We conquer mountains and attain the summits of our dreams for our own personal well being, but it is for the well being of others that we return home to the valley."
-Mick Daniel
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Mt. Blanca speed record?

Post by kaiman »

Hjelmstadlt wrote:Does anyone happen to know of any speed records for an ascent of Mt. Blanca from its base? I've found a bunch for the whole group but was curious if there was one for just Blanca.
I assume you mean Blanca Peak in the Sangre de Cristos?
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Many of the less culturally "prominent" 14ers don't have established FKTs. Even the climb times page on here doesn't have almost any entries. And for Blanca in particular, people are rarely doing it by itself in a day. Also, how would you determine a starting line with Lake Como Road being so long?
Last edited by ezabielski on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Why? This is considered a sacred mountain by some. Slow down and enjoy this very special place! :)
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Hjelmstadlt
14ers: 42  1  4 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Hjelmstadlt »

I went up Blanca Peak for the 4th time in two weeks today and decided to make the last climb of it for the season count. I summited in 2 hours and 32 minutes from 8200 feet for a total of 8.5 miles.
"We conquer mountains and attain the summits of our dreams for our own personal well being, but it is for the well being of others that we return home to the valley."
-Mick Daniel
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I bet there's some time floating around for LB/Blanca/Ellingwood. I'd wager Eric Lee is up on that list. I would also agree that I'm not sure if the starting point is altogether normalized.

FKT's start out by just somebody saying, "hey, I did this", and only get beaten when somebody decides to say they've done a faster time. No hurt in posting it up? http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/b ... z-mt-nv-nm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For style points, I'd report the RT time.