Mt Missouri from Mt Belfort

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
killerpitou
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Missouri from Mt Belfort

Post by killerpitou »

Hi guys,

I'm assuming might be hard since not mapped out but I thought I'd ask. Is there a way to stay on summit ridge and connect Missouri from Belfort or do you have to go down to the valley north and then back up. If so, what is the danger stopping it from being possible?

Planning on knocking the 3 14ers Saturday morning, weather permitting of course.....

Thanks.
brett.t.burch
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Missouri from Mt Belfort

Post by brett.t.burch »

It is certainly possible but not easy. Take a look at this file: https://share.delorme.com/TedMahon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Gerry Roach rates this route as Class 4, and calls it a "serious and dangerous climb" then uses the word "nightmare" to follow that up. Descend from Belford via Elkhead pass. You'll get a good look at the ridge and can decide if you want to continue up the ridge or descend and re-gain Missouri from the north. It looks legit, and the rock is rotten. Be careful.
Rambler
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Rambler »

I looked at doing this and passed on it. I was never planning on taking the "class 4 ridge with rock so loose it will be relegated to my nightmares" East ridge Roach describes, but there is a way to hike from Elkhead pass, skirt around that ridge on the south side without gaining/losing too much elevation, and it'll drop you to the saddle between Missouri and Iowa. Then you can hike north from that saddle to the summit and maybe take the standard route back down. Check pic from this trip report (image 3 and 5). I know there are others out there if you do some more looking under trip reports.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
younggrasshopper
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by younggrasshopper »

Don't ever do that route. Far worse than the bells traverse....that ridge is the closest I have ever been to death. The rock comes off in sheets. It is simple to do Belford and Oxford. As you start to head back from Oxford keep going directly west over the ridge and you can drop down the grassy slope on the other side and easily connect with the trail for Missouri. Even if you were able to climb the ridge it would take far longer than dropping into the basin again anyway.
killerpitou
Trip Reports (0)

Post by killerpitou »

Thanks guys. great comments and links. I guess I'm up for going down first, sort of speak. I don't mind class 4 or even class 5 but not on a long day like that. Got to keep up the pace....
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

I would not attempt that ridge from Belford to Missouri...it is a short, easy walk from Elkhead Pass to Missouri's standard route. I've looked at that ridge, and it looks really ugly.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Brimstone10
14ers: 40  2  3 
13ers: 9 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Brimstone10 »

I did the traverse from Missouri towards Belfrd this past May after climbing the north face couloir on Missouri. We came down the ridge, sticking to the ridge proper for a portion of the traverse, and dropped off the back (south) side for a bit. It's not something I'd recommend.
Jeremy_Kreis
14ers: 55  4 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeremy_Kreis »

You can bypass the worst of the pass by using the gullies on the left side of the ridge. It is a lot faster than dropping down the pass for the standard route.
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

I was on elkhead pass this july after hitting Belford and Oxford. I had done extensive research in the feasibility of snagging Missouri while I was there(ended up too tired to do any route but down). The high intersect from Elk head to up Missouri standard route is a very short stroll and not even that terrible much elevation lost. If you are looking for efficient, energy saving or time saving drop down from eklhead pass into Missouri basin. If you are looking for adventure don't mind a very long traverse across scree (which isn't as bad as most commenters here let on), if you are good with route finding where there is no trail, then sure you could go around the south side of Missouri. Or if you have a death wish go up the east ridge. Otherwise stick to the trail. If you want views I would go with dropping into the basin, its a very pretty basin with nice views of a craggy Missouri over your head.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

I linked these three 14ers last summer, along with 13ers Iowa Peak and Emerald Peak. I found it easiest to follow the Elkhead Pass trail south a ways and then leave the trail and head west for the Missouri/Iowa saddle. I found the rock to be quite stable with this approach and things moved along rather quickly.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney