Logistic help with 3 day trip to San Juan Range

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ronxhill
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Logistic help with 3 day trip to San Juan Range

Post by ronxhill »

Is there a resource to help plan a 3 day trip to the San Juan Mountains that will give us the chance to climb 2 or more 14ers in this one trip? We will be coming from the Summit County area and will be our first time trying any of the 14ers in that range. I started researching and saw that some 14ers have multiple TH options.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Logistic help with 3 day trip to San Juan Range

Post by kaiman »

ronxhill wrote:Is there a resource to help plan a 3 day trip to the San Juan Mountains that will give us the chance to climb 2 or more 14ers in this one trip? We will be coming from the Summit County area and will be our first time trying any of the 14ers in that range. I started researching and saw that some 14ers have multiple TH options.
Probably your most viable option is to climb Handies one day, and Redcloud and Sunshine on a second day (or vice versa) via the Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch trailhead out of Lake City. All three are Class 2 hikes.

A second option would be Wetterhorn and Uncompahgre from the Nellie Creek/Matterhorn Creek trails, which can be done in one long day but is usually done separately. Although the routes are on different trails in different drainages, they are accessed from the same road out of Lake City. Uncompahgre is Class 2 and Wetterhorn is Class 3.

There is also Mount Wilson, El Diente, and Wilson Peak from Navajo Basin or Kilpacker Basin out of Telluride, but that typically requires backpacking in and doing the El Diente/Wilson traverse one day and Wilson Peak on another day. All three require Class 4 scrambling on loose, exposed rock.

I'd suggest you read the route description for each of these areas/peaks on this website to help you make a decision.

Happy Trails!

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Logistic help with 3 day trip to San Juan Range

Post by bdloftin77 »

I was just about to type something similar to what Kaiman said. I did Redcloud and Sunshine, Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn, and Handies in three days, though it was a lot of hiking.

Yep, the Wilson group is another option, but any of the 5 near Lake City might be a better intro to the San Juans. It's very pretty there!