Quandarys West Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Harvester
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Quandarys West Ridge

Post by Harvester »

Seeking input from anyone with previous experience on the West Ridge of Quandary. Helmets necessary for a party of 2? Thinking yes, but thought I'd tap into the collective to confirm.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Re: Quandarys West Ridge

Post by JQDivide »

ALWAYS A HELMET FOR CLASS 3!
letourneau41
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letourneau41 »

JQDivide wrote:ALWAYS A HELMET FOR CLASS 3!
+1
Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.
daverflave
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by daverflave »

Just wondering why a Helmet would be needed when a fall is almost certain to end fatally, what help really will a helmet do?
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

daverflave wrote:Just wondering why a Helmet would be needed when a fall is almost certain to end fatally, what help really will a helmet do?
Did you see the recent Crestone accident thread where SAR credited the victim's helmet with saving his life after he fell?
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Mos def. There is noteworthy exposure as you head over the white rock and then on the final wall. If you are coming down the Christo couloir, a helmet is not a bad idea either.
please rotate your device
danshannan
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by danshannan »

I wouldnt worry about it. Only mountains Ive worn a helmet on have rock fall danger from groups above you, like Maroon Bells, Little Bear type mountains. So not necessary but if youre asking then youre thinking you should have it, always trust your gut.
daverflave
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by daverflave »

dpage wrote:
daverflave wrote:Just wondering why a Helmet would be needed when a fall is almost certain to end fatally, what help really will a helmet do?
Did you see the recent Crestone accident thread where SAR credited the victim's helmet with saving his life after he fell?
no, I wasnt trying to be rude. Really just curious
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

But it is not certain that a fall will be fatal on Quandary West Ridge. It's class 3, it's not the Diamond on Longs. It's low angle with enough ledges that if you fall you'll most likely just roll a short distance.

I always wear a helmet on class 3 and above. It doesn't weigh that much, and it's good insurance against small rocks, short falls and tumbles. It may not help in a all cases, but I like to stack the odds in my favor.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Personally, I've never worn a helmet on Class 3, but definitely on Class 4.

But, I would lean towards wearing a helmet on class 2 and above, where the potential for rock fall from parties above is high (i.e. Sneffels).

It is funny how the masses seem to jump to wearing a helmet on anything class 3 and above now, but evidence suggests that not very many people are carrying the 10 essentials anymore (i.e. a paper map and compass).

In response to IP, it couldn't hurt to carry it, that's for sure.
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

Rocks fall too.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

That ridge isn't hugely exposed; you're rarely more than 10 feet off the deck, usually less. A helmet helps in short falls, too (think tripping over a rock and hitting your head on the ground - I've done this a few times).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump