Longs peak loop this Saturday 8/6/2016

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Longs peak loop this Saturday 8/6/2016

Post by spiderman »

A week ago I did a Longs Peak loop. It definitely is more interesting than going up and down the same trail. I slept at the TH the night before and went up the Loft Route. The route finding going up the Loft is much easier. I wouldn't recommend going down it without having down the ascent that way previously since there are a couple of tricky places that are non-obvious. There was only one other person on the Loft route so don't count on having company like you will have on the Keyhole route. Considering adding in Meeker or SE Longs along the way since they are short detours. From the TH to Meeker and then on to Longs was 6 hours at a moderate but sustained pace for someone who was well-acclimated. I went on to do the Radical Slam (Roach's book), turning a medium hike into a very long hike.
killerpitou
Trip Reports (0)

Post by killerpitou »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
killerpitou wrote:Gonna come up the Key hole route and down the east side Saturday leave TH at 6:30am...
If anyone wants to join for a great climb.
You've contradicted yourself.
Up #1, down #2 is what I think you're looking to do? Please be safe
Yup you're right. Always go up the higher class so up the Loft, down the keyhole like above.
BillMiddlebrook wrote:
killerpitou wrote:Gonna come up the Key hole route and down the east side Saturday leave TH at 6:30am...
If anyone wants to join for a great climb.
You've contradicted yourself.
Up #1, down #2 is what I think you're looking to do? Please be safe
Sorry wrong order in original post. Safer for sure!
Chase_Rowdy wrote:
dpage wrote:And good luck getting a parking spot at 630AM

I didn't even notice this. Good luck getting back below treeline before storms. This route takes a VERY long time, even if you are in great shape.
Is there a way to park on the side of the road? I thought Longs was not as crowded due to the class but I guess it's close enough to town looks like another highway.... Oh well, it's on my list....
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Is there a way to park on the side of the road? I thought Longs was not as crowded due to the class but I guess it's close enough to town looks like another highway.... Oh well, it's on my list....[/quote]

Parking lot usually fills by 2AM. Legal Roadside parking fills by 3AM if not sooner. Police ticket for illegally parked cars.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

dpage wrote:
Parking lot usually fills by 2AM. Legal Roadside parking fills by 3AM if not sooner. Police ticket for illegally parked cars.
Another good reason to start by 3-4 am, but more importantly it is a long day of climbing (most people take 10-12 hrs or more) and you want to get below tree line by noon during the monsoon season.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
killerpitou
Trip Reports (0)

Post by killerpitou »

Phill the Thrill wrote:
dpage wrote:
Another good reason to start by 3-4 am, but more importantly it is a long day of climbing (most people take 10-12 hrs or more) and you want to get below tree line by noon during the monsoon season.

Glad I started this post. That is unbelieveable! Is there camping options at the base?
spiderman
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Most people just sleep in their vehicle at the TH. You an also throw down a bag and ground pad in the TH picnic area after dark when the rangers go home. Some trees provide a slight amount of separation between that area and the parking lot. Things do start getting noisy at 2 AM when hikers start going up the trail.
killerpitou
Trip Reports (0)

Post by killerpitou »

spiderman wrote:Most people just sleep in their vehicle at the TH. You an also throw down a bag and ground pad in the TH picnic area after dark when the rangers go home. Some trees provide a slight amount of separation between that area and the parking lot. Things do start getting noisy at 2 AM when hikers start going up the trail.
No way to anchor a tent somewhere? Sleeping in the car would be ok I guess I have a stationwagon but dang.....talk about being in pain before you even start haha
I usually don't go to sleep until 11pm. I have run for 10 to 12 hours with no sleep before. It ain't fun..... That's why I was shooting for the early morning ride and start..... I guess I have to revise my plans....And I can try to sleep until 4am in the car... But that's a lot of hope....
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

There's a campground at the TH (although it filled up before 12 on a Friday afternoon for that night when we tried a few weeks ago) and 2 forest service campgrounds down the road a little bit--Olive Ridge and Meeker Overflow. We ended up at Meeker Overflow. Take note that its an extremity primitive campground...
spiderman
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Tent camping at the TH would be too likely to get you in trouble. You probably could hike up the trail for a mile at night and quietly camp illegally until 4 AM at Goblin Forest. I doubt any rangers would bother you if you set up a tent after dark and take it down/stash it before sunrise.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

There is also dispersed camping along County Road 82 (National Forest) - turn right from Hwy 7 less than one mile before the Longs Peak TH turnoff. Expect to have a lot of company though.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
killerpitou
Trip Reports (0)

Post by killerpitou »

dwoodward13 wrote:There's a campground at the TH (although it filled up before 12 on a Friday afternoon for that night when we tried a few weeks ago) and 2 forest service campgrounds down the road a little bit--Olive Ridge and Meeker Overflow. We ended up at Meeker Overflow. Take note that its an extremity primitive campground...
WTF!!!!! I picked the wrong state. Haha Gonna move to Montana or something. That's terrible. I don't mind fighting for my life, but not to get a shitty night sleep.... Shitty night sleep should be free of any fighting :-)
Probably gonna wait for the fall until it gets cold and people turned away.....
So glad I started this post. Had no idea!

Also looks like you have to get in line to climb the last piece once the 2 trails meet atop. Not happening either. Although it appears you can go on the side as well....
Longs will be October or November....Gonna head West instead.
spiderman
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

The Front Range peaks are generally lousy during the summer months. The others are more reasonable, although find a different list to work on if you want peace and solitude. I have been enjoying the 5000' prominence peak list and heading up to Montana for some true enjoyment next week. I doubt I will encounter other climbers when going up Mt. Cleveland.

FYI: there is plenty of room to pass other climbers on the Homestretch. It is a broad slab with lots of easy Class 3 climbing options.