Running water in Boulderfield (Longs Peak)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GeorgeB
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (9)

Running water in Boulderfield (Longs Peak)

Post by GeorgeB »

Hi there,

Anyone know if there is *currently* accessible water running through the boulderfield for filtering/steripenning? I've had good luck there before, but the webcam sure makes the north face look dry right now.

Preferably a ways from the solar toilets. :lol:

Thanks in advance!
ebromfield
14ers: 41 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Running water in Boulderfield (Longs Peak)

Post by ebromfield »

Might not be current enough, but I climbed Longs last week on 7/22 and there was water sufficient to filter flowing around the worn path through the field.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

During early spring I am fine to drink it (and still slightly weary so I've only gathered up higher).

Right now, I wouldn't. Have you seen the size of those marmots? They believe in nothing.

Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Chase_Rowdy
14ers: 19  1  1 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chase_Rowdy »

There sure is. About ~150 yards below the campsites it's still running strong
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I wouldn't drink it downstream of the campsite... just saying. There is still snow at the base of Storm Peak and I would rather take a ten minute walk to a fresher source if you are camping in the Boulderfield. For a day hike, I would just take an extra quart and leave the filter at home.
GeorgeB
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (9)

Post by GeorgeB »

You guys are great, thanks!!