Off Trail in Weminuche Questions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
arvinsmee
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Off Trail in Weminuche Questions

Post by arvinsmee »

A buddy and me are going backpacking in the Weminuche this August and plan to do a bit of off trail adventuring. I couldn't find much info online for some of the routes so I thought I'd ask here.

Background: we're both experienced backpackers in great shape. We've done our fair share of route finding, though most of our hiking has been in the Appalachians.

We're planning on doing a 9 day trip from Mola Pass to where Endlich Mesa Trail hits Lake Vallecito. We'll be on trail for the most part until we get to Moon Lake. From there we were planning on setting up camp and doing some day hikes - particularly Oso and Irving. I've read a few trip reports and it looks like they'll be tough but nothing too technical. Is that the case?

Hiking out Moon Lake we want to reconnect with the Vallecito Trail and head up Johnson Creek to Columbine Pass. As far as I can tell there are two ways out that don't involve a huge detour - bushwhacking down Roell Creek or Irving Creek. Roell is less steep but we'd spend a lot of time in the woods - which makes me think it'd actually be harder. Irving looks like it might be a bit steep, especially at the lake's outflow, but it doesn't appear to be too bad. We're aiming for a site near treeline on Johnson Creek that night, but something at the confluence of Vallecito would work as well if the bushwhack takes too much out of us.

Last summer we descended the east face of Huron (not directly, we walked about half a mile north on the ridge before we headed down) and that wasn't any trouble at all. I think we averaged a little under a mile an hour with 35 lb packs. We'll have similar weight this time around.

After snagging some 14ers from the Chicago Basin we wanted to head over to Castilleja Lake and set up camp there, maybe hiking some 13ers on the way (Florida and Valois) and more after we set up camp (Amherst and Organ). The following day we'd hike out by skirting the edge of the plateau. passing by Emerson, over Sheep, across to Sheridan, reconnecting with an unofficial trail there that will take us to the Endlich Mesa Trail. I took this idea from Furthermore's trip report. He makes it sound easy, but based on some of the mileage he puts in and peaks he summits, I think what's unremarkable for him might be a little tougher for us. I wanted to see if anyone else had experience in this area and could comment on it's comparative difficulty.

Thanks!
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Off Trail in Weminuche Questions

Post by DArcyS »

If you can't find a trip report of somebody descending Roell Creek or Irving Creek, don't do it. The terrain in the Weminuche can be much worse than the topo suggests.
arvinsmee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by arvinsmee »

I scoured the internet pretty well and got the following:

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?st ... =6&t=37160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I did Oso via Irving Creek which is approximately 8 miles up the Vallecito Creek Trail. Some routefinding was involved but nothing over class 2. The last 1000 ft. was over cobblestone sized rocks which were a pain in the arse so boots over your ankles are recommended. I haven't seen anything like that in all the summits I've done. Great views from there though. “
…..
“Just did Oso from Rock Lake. Can be kept at class 2 with a little route finding. We came from Beartown over Hunchback Pass; ~7 miles to the Vallecito/Rock Creek intersection, and another ~3.5 miles up to Rock Lake. Good trails to there, and up to the saddle between Rock Lake/Moon Lake. No trail/cairns beyond that.”

http://www.summitpost.org/forum/valleci ... 59520.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Another former SPer climbed Oso via Irving Creek a number of years back. I advised him that the terrain would be very, very steep and choked with deadfall. This was exacly the case. He managed to climb Mount Oso, but it beat him up pretty good. I'd be surprised if Roell was any different.”

“Oso is surprisingly loose, so don't be too surprised at the loose rock. Lost Lake sits in a tight valley that sees very little sun throughout the year, and like much of Oso, snow is known to linger there a long time. Much of Oso's snow persists year round. This late in the year, it will be old, hard snow. Hopefully you can get around it safely, but to increase your chances at success, appropriate gear might be a good idea. If the snow is not there, there's been enough to grind up that terrain beneath it over the ages. Expect very loose terain while gaining the saddle. Above the saddle are lots of huge, topsy turvy rocks. Expect everything on this mountain to move. Oso means "Bear" (in Ute, I believe), and this is indeed bear country. Proceed accordingly.”

So I know at least Irving is doable. I was just hoping to find more info on how rough we can expect it to be.
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

Charlie Nuttelman has a description of climbing Oso via Roell Creek (see 7/18 day) last summer.
arvinsmee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by arvinsmee »

John Prater wrote:Charlie Nuttelman has a description of climbing Oso via Roell Creek (see 7/18 day) last summer.
Thanks! That's very helpful.
arvinsmee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by arvinsmee »

If anyway cares:

We scoped out the pass to Irving Creek and found it to be way too hard to accomplish with full packs. The scree is not very stable, especially on the west side of the pass. With perfect weather it may have been possible, but it probably wouldn't have taken all day to get down to the Vallecito Trail and we would have been looking pretty rough by the time we got there. Instead, we stayed on trail to do the big detour up to Rock Lake, down Rock Creek, and down the Vallecito trail. It was long but went fairly fast and gave us time to get a few miles up Johnson Creek before dusk.