Sneffles route question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Sneffles route question

Post by davebks »

Successful trip! That place is beautiful although the lower lake was pretty packed with people.
I will try and post a trip report later but thanks for the beta. Helped a lot.
Alliesoto44
Trip Reports (0)

How difficult is Sneffels?

Post by Alliesoto44 »

The gully still has snow at the top (summited July 28th). We saw some hikers descending the left ridge to avoid the snow altogether and they suggested it would be easier and safer. All the route descriptions I've found are of the v notch at the top of the gully, but don't include alternative routes like the one we took. It was a steep scramble on an exposed slope to the left of the gully with sparse cairns and sections I was straight up rock climbing. My question is this: what difficulty is this approach if it's rated based on the 1-5 scale? This is only my 3rd 14er and I'd like to continue attempting more challenging summits in the future. It would be helpful to have a better reference of difficulty when reading route descriptions and ratings on this website to better prepare myself.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: How difficult is Sneffels?

Post by highpilgrim »

Alliesoto44 wrote:It was a steep scramble on an exposed slope to the left of the gully with sparse cairns and sections I was straight up rock climbing.
I've done that route. If you take the easiest way, it was third class and not hard.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Alliesoto44 wrote:It was a steep scramble on an exposed slope to the left of the gully with sparse cairns and sections I was straight up rock climbing. My question is this: what difficulty is this approach if it's rated based on the 1-5 scale?
As highpilgrim suggested, difficulty of the "ridge" to climber's left of the gully depends on your route, especially where you exit the gully. Sounds like you exited fairly high and consequently encountered some spicy climbing. My group descended a similar route after ascending via the southwest ridge, except we descended quite a ways, almost to the saddle, before we dropped into the gully. I don't recall anything difficult or exposed on the descent the way we went. Might have been a bit of class 3 on the final drop into the gully, but minimal.

Roach describes a route that sounds a lot like the descent we took, and rates it as class 2+. He describes the place to exit the gully when ascending as 1/3 of the way up, 300' below the v-notch.

I wouldn't call this alternate a "ridge." It uses the ridge along the gully some, but isn't a distinct ridge route. I called it "south face" when I posted about it in this thread from 2010: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... te#p290181
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
Alliesoto44
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alliesoto44 »

Thanks for the reply! You are correct in that we exited in an unideal spot because it was easily a good 20 feet of down climbing. The amount of exposure and the loose terrain I found to be rather unpleasant, but better than a rockfall I suppose. Class 3 is no joke! I have done plenty of multi pitch climbing (on ropes of course). I enjoy confronting my fear of heights on most occasions, but Sneffels definitely got the best of me this time around!