Yale Northeast Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
falcon568
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Yale Northeast Ridge

Post by falcon568 »

Looking through pictures of Mt Yale, pretty much anything taken from Horn Fork Basin or Mt Columbia shows the prominent Northeast Ridge. It looks like a beautiful line, especially as a winter/spring climb, but there's absolutely nothing out there I can find on this route. Am I missing something, why is there not more info on this route?
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Yale Northeast Ridge

Post by GeezerClimber »

I live near Mt Yale and eye balled the ridge countless times. I've put it on my "would like to try someday" list. I think the ticket would be to begin at the Silver Creek TH on 365 and follow the CT until it flattens out at about 11K in a big meadow with abandoned beaver ponds. There is a big view of Yale from there. It looks like a simple matter to climb to the ridge through open forest from there and follow the ridge. There aren't any obvious obstacles though the last pitch looks steep and is probably crumbly. With a car shuttle, one could descend the standard or west ridge route for a nice tour.

Dave
ajd2352
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajd2352 »

what about something like this (Yellow route)?
Attachments
possible routes compressed.jpg
possible routes compressed.jpg (260.25 KiB) Viewed 406 times
GeezerClimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

That is more or less the route but I would stay on the CT until the trees thin out and then go up to the ridge to avoid unnecessary bushwhacking.

DAve
ajd2352
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajd2352 »

There's "less" avalanche danger if you follow the ridge the whole way though.
GeezerClimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

ajd2352 wrote:There's "less" avalanche danger if you follow the ridge the whole way though.
The terrain is not very steep.
ajd2352
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajd2352 »

GeezerClimber wrote:
ajd2352 wrote:There's "less" avalanche danger if you follow the ridge the whole way though.
On average I'd say that's true but there are pockets in that bowl that are above the 30 degree magic marker that you would have to hike below to get up to the ridge.

Slightly related question: CAIC shows heightened or a higher probably of avalanche conditions for the sawatch to be N to E to SE slopes; how much should this be taken into consideration if you are traveling on a ridge - say the east ridge of Yale? Also, when they give weather directions, like WSW, that's the direction the wind is going to and not from correct?
GeezerClimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

ajd2352 wrote:
GeezerClimber wrote:
On average I'd say that's true but there are pockets in that bowl that are above the 30 degree magic marker that you would have to hike below to get up to the ridge.

Slightly related question: CAIC shows heightened or a higher probably of avalanche conditions for the sawatch to be N to E to SE slopes; how much should this be taken into consideration if you are traveling on a ridge - say the east ridge of Yale? Also, when they give weather directions, like WSW, that's the direction the wind is going to and not from correct?
I don't think there is any avy danger anywhere on the CT. There aren't any avalanche chutes along the way. The bottom part of the ridge is very steep and likely rocky. Could be a royal pain. The ridge can be reached higher up without climbing anything very steep. The ridge could be corniced above timber. North winds are coming FROM the north, etc.

Dave