La Plata - Ellingwood Ridge conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jpenny
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 38 7
Trip Reports (0)

La Plata - Ellingwood Ridge conditions

Post by jpenny »

Has anyone seen or been on Ellingwood Ridge as of late? A little bit of snow is expected but I wonder if it is too terrible covered to be done safely on Sunday or Monday. Haven't found anything on this particular route on the peak conditions so if anyone has been on this route lately or has seen it from a reasonable distance I would be very happy to hear from ya!
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Re: La Plata - Ellingwood Ridge conditions

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Taken 6-15

Keep in mind the east side of the standard ridge was still holding snow, and most people do dip onto the east side of Ellingwood Ridge as well. We called off the Ridge just because of that reason, it is most likely holding snow on the side that you cannot see.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I was there yesterday and it was snow free.
XC Snowboarder
14ers: 58  58  5 
13ers: 101 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XC Snowboarder »

My 2cents - find another route. That ridge isn't worth the drive, even if you live at Twin Lakes.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

XC Snowboarder wrote:My 2cents - find another route. That ridge isn't worth the drive, even if you live at Twin Lakes.
:?:
leggaj5
14ers: 45  5 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by leggaj5 »

Agree with XC Snowboarder...type 2/3 fun
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

XC Snowboarder wrote:My 2cents - find another route. That ridge isn't worth the drive, even if you live at Twin Lakes.
leggaj5 wrote:Agree with XC Snowboarder...type 2/3 fun
What? The OP asked for conditions, not opinions (if that is what you are offering here, your statements are too vague to tell), on the route. Ellingwood Ridge looks like a fun alternative to the standard route for La Plata, and it is true many hikers prefer the non-standard routes over the cattle trails. It sounds like the route is snow free, so go climb it and have a great time.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
leggaj5
14ers: 45  5 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by leggaj5 »

Yeah it was just my opinion, not informative or helpful so I apologize for hijacking the thread - just hard not to express my disdain for the route. Good luck to the OP and have fun!
JEyez
14ers: 28 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JEyez »

I'm going to disagree with the opinions stated in this thread. My opinion is that Ellingwood Ridge is a stellar and difficult route. One of my most intense and fulfilling days in the mountains. Go get it and enjoy yourself.