Wilsons Condition Update

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Wilsons Condition Update

Post by dubsho3000 »

A fine first post on 14ers.com - thanks!
basincruiser
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by basincruiser »

Bump. Anyone have any further (recent) updates on the Wilsons conditions, particularly the snow?

We are planning on hiking El Diente/Mt. Wilson with traverse from Kilpacker this Sat June 30, then Wilson Peak from ROA TH the following Monday. We don't have ice ax or crampons. Is it possible to do these routes safely by next weekend w/o them? Particularly concerned about coming back down the Mt. Wilson South slopes, the traverse, and Wilson Peak.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Marty
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

There are several short snowfields to cross if you are ascending El Diente from Kilpacker. I had an axe with me and used it 3 times. The snow on the way up is passable without axe but will require a short climb up and around. The remaining snow will not be melted by next weekend. The traverse is completely snow free. We descended back into Kilpacker and there are several steep, unavoidable sections of snow to descend. I was definetly happy to have an axe on the way down or there would have been a lot of difficult down climbing to do to avoid the snow in the gullies. You can descend into navajo basin and. Connect to the kilpacker trail though. From silver pick TH, there are also several snow patches but none above the ROA saddle leading to Wilson Peak. I think you'll be fine without axe or crampons for WP from silver pick
basincruiser
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by basincruiser »

Justin9 wrote:There are several short snowfields to cross if you are ascending El Diente from Kilpacker. I had an axe with me and used it 3 times. The snow on the way up is passable without axe but will require a short climb up and around. The remaining snow will not be melted by next weekend. The traverse is completely snow free. We descended back into Kilpacker and there are several steep, unavoidable sections of snow to descend. I was definetly happy to have an axe on the way down or there would have been a lot of difficult down climbing to do to avoid the snow in the gullies. You can descend into navajo basin and. Connect to the kilpacker trail though. From silver pick TH, there are also several snow patches but none above the ROA saddle leading to Wilson Peak. I think you'll be fine without axe or crampons for WP from silver pick
Thanks so much for the info. This helps a lot. :mrgreen: Guess we'll have to change our plans to do another peak this weekend, and hit El Diente/Wilson later in the season. :x