Places in CO to visit in early May

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pseizure2000
Trip Reports (0)

Places in CO to visit in early May

Post by pseizure2000 »

A few friends and I are flying in to Denver on the 9th until the 18th of May. We want to do some hiking and, snow-willing, summiting while we are there. Any suggesting of good places to go based on current conditions? I have a few in mind but it's always good to have more options. Here's what I've thought of so far:

Conundrum Springs
Sand Dunes
Black Canyon
Mt Elbert?

I have crampons and waterproof boots, but I doubt my friends do. I don't think they've ever been to CO but this will be my third time and first this early in the season. Primarily I'm worried about snowpack putting a damper on things.
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Places in CO to visit in early May

Post by JE242 »

Maybe start with some close Front Range hikes that give you great views of high peaks, but don't put you in avy danger.
Chief Mountain is what I take folks on who are from out of town (off of hwy 103), just to see how the altitude is gonna play into it.

Then a longer 'dry' dayhike could be the Goose Creek Trail in Lost Creek Wilderness. This always impresses people and the altitude doesn't kill them.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Conundrum Hot Springs will have lots of snow. I'd bring snowshoes for sure and plan on being on snow the entire time. Avy danger on the approach-watch out.

Sand Dunes and Black Canyon will be fine (though if you are already going to Black Canyon, consider the Grand Junction area as well).

My Elbert will be possible via the east ridge, but bring waterproof boots and plan on a long day. I'd bring snowshoes as well. The earlier the start, the easier it's going to be since the snow will be super wet in the afternoons. No avy danger as long as you stay on route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Hanging Lake should be booted down if not dry. Colorado NM should be completely dry as well.

If it stays warm and dry like this for the next couple of weeks, you may get lucky and have Guanella Pass open up early.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake