Y Couloir in a week?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Y Couloir in a week?

Post by CO Native »

Here's an image from this morning after the snow:
http://www.friesema.net/junk/pikespeak2013-04-19.jpg
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
GerryRigged
14ers: 24  24  3 
13ers: 13 11 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by GerryRigged »

Can I change the subject slightly?
Is the ribbon of snow in this photo skiable now or maybe in a week or so?
I have been looking at this for a couple of years and since the Y col is not skiable form the summit I thought this might be an alternative. I was on the summit a couple weeks ago and at that time it was pretty thin with a lot of rocks.
CO Native
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

From what I've seen of it I would not expect it to be skiable this year unless we get one of those huge spring storms still. In average snowfall years it's skiable.
GerryRigged
14ers: 24  24  3 
13ers: 13 11 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by GerryRigged »

CO Native,

I just found the notice of your reply in my junk email box. I'll have to fix that.
So Pikes got a pretty good snow a few days ago but maybe still not enough to make it skiable.
Have you skied this in the past?
KyleS
14ers: 44  5  7 
13ers: 25 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KyleS »

Bump. Any update on Y Couloir conditions? Even if it isn't skiable, does it look climbable at least? What about the Railroad Couloir?
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

KyleS wrote:Bump. Any update on Y Couloir conditions? Even if it isn't skiable, does it look climbable at least? What about the Railroad Couloir?
I too, am eagerly awaiting my annual climb up the Y Couloir! I usually wait until the 2nd weekend in May for an attempt. I did, however, climb up & down Pikes Peak yesterday (4-27-2013) via Barr Trail. While on the summit, I took these pics looking down the upper part of the main branch of the Couloir. It looks to be nicely snow-filled. The very top (last 20 yards), as usual, is a little sparse - but this has been indicative of conditions on the very top for the past few years. There were no tracks coming up this upper part of the Couloir, nor were there any tracks leading to the Bottomless Pit as I was coming up Barr Trail. This leads me to believe that it has not been attempted for a while and/or possibly not at all this season yet. Although, there are of course, other ways to access the Couloir. I did not (for obvious reasons) attempt to down-climb the Couloir to gauge the snow conditions, but have decided to wait for a while longer before attempting this climb in order to let the snow "set-up" a little better.
Attachments
025.JPG
025.JPG (224.37 KiB) Viewed 519 times
024.JPG
024.JPG (183.44 KiB) Viewed 519 times
KyleS
14ers: 44  5  7 
13ers: 25 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KyleS »

Thanks kman. I'm still holding onto shreds of hope that I'll have time to climb it.
keystone4me
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by keystone4me »

plans to attempt this weekend. Thoughts?
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

keystone4me wrote:plans to attempt this weekend. Thoughts?

If the storm on Wed comes to fruition, this weekend may still be too early. 9-17 inches with no freeze/thaw the rest of the week means it probably won't bond well for awhile.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
jscamaro
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscamaro »

Hi there
Im planning to climb it this Saturday. - MAY 4th 2013
any suggestions on this or advice?

Thanks!
JJ
CO Native
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

We got some nice snow out of the storm and the weather is warming back up faster than originally forecasted. If things go perfect Sunday may be a reasonable day to do the Y. edit: Looked at the forecast and consolidation is unlikely by Sunday.

Here's what it looks like after the last storm (click for much larger verson):
jeffskio
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffskio »

CO Native, can you post a picture of the glen cove area and Little Italy?