Water source information for all the 14ers

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info.
SilverLynx
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (14)
13er Checklist (17)

Re: Water source information for all the 14ers

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:15 pm

milan wrote:Yeah, this site is full of information, just adding info about water sources on 14ers - it's too much, right? There are like five photographs of cruxes on each of the routes with lines in colors how to get over - just don't add water info, it's too much, stay thirsty my friends. That's where the line between a cool mountaineerer and a looser who should never touch a mountain is. This thread is funny. =D> :lol:

=D> =D> =D>
We owe it to ourselves and to the next generation to conserve the environment so that we can bequeath our children a sustainable world that benefits all.
Wangari Maathai
screeman57
14er Checklist (55)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (55)

Postby screeman57 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:18 pm

SilverLynx wrote:
milan wrote:Yeah, this site is full of information, just adding info about water sources on 14ers - it's too much, right? There are like five photographs of cruxes on each of the routes with lines in colors how to get over - just don't add water info, it's too much, stay thirsty my friends. That's where the line between a cool mountaineerer and a looser who should never touch a mountain is. This thread is funny. =D> :lol:

=D> =D> =D>

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold
wildlobo71
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (40)

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:20 pm

I really wasn't getting why the whole idea of adding another tab full of information - water sources this time...would be a bad thing? It's optional, people... don't use it, or don't contribute to it - go back to dowsing for water if that's your thing but let those who would like to have access to the information have that access.

Yes, for those of you who completed the 14ers 30 years ago, and have climbed for 50 years - you have a distinct advantage in the historic applications of resourcefulness over those who have far, far, less, and have taken to using the internet for access to the information that you had to find for yourselves through long weekends of trial and error in the mountains and back country.

This discussion doesn't even matter if Bill doesn't see the value.
You've never really stopped even if you feel like you have.
TravelingMatt
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (355)

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Drinking from obvious water sources? Too mainstream.

(Get it?)
AC 0000000
TallGrass
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Pair in lower left:
"Yeah, the 14er.com route description water info tab says there's a creek in Min... ne... ha... ha... Gulch that's three-inches from here on the map where, like, we might be able get some water. Hope so because my Gatorade bottle is almost out. You think we should go 'off-route' to the right to gain some 'cool vert' and see if we can spot an alternative water source in case we can't make it that far? I brought my ice axe and glissading pants. This is going to be sooooo epic!"
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
screeman57
14er Checklist (55)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (55)

Postby screeman57 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:38 pm

TallGrass wrote: "Yeah, the 14er.com route description water info tab says there's a creek in Min... ne... ha... ha... Gulch that's three-inches from here on the map where, like, we might be able get some water. Hope so because my Gatorade bottle is almost out. You think we should go 'off-route' to the right to gain some 'cool vert' and see if we can spot an alternative water source in case we can't make it that far? I brought my ice axe and glissading pants. This is going to be sooooo epic!"

"...and maybe we'll see Goofy and Minnie Mouse up there!"
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold
Jay521
14er Checklist (41)
14ers in Winter (9)
13er Checklist (118)

Postby Jay521 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:49 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:Drinking from obvious water sources? Too mainstream.

Now THAT'S funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
ChrisRoberts
14er Checklist (12)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:01 pm

milan wrote:Yeah, this site is full of information, just adding info about water sources on 14ers - it's too much, right? There are like five photographs of cruxes on each of the routes with lines in colors how to get over - just don't add water info, it's too much

How ever will we find water????
Attachments
rsz_14ers.jpg
rsz_14ers.jpg (278.71 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Kiefer
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (37)
13er Checklist (215)

Postby Kiefer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:05 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:
This discussion doesn't even matter if Bill doesn't see the value.

HAHAHA! I get it. You made a funny! :lol:
TallGrass
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:12 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:How ever will we find water????

Whoa, hold on a minute. I'm going to need to text this in the GPS. Got coordinates for each and an app you can just bump-transfer that over to my iPhone?
SPOT should really add a "NEED WATER" button. And that fat blue line, that's a river, right? Looks like it forks near the top. Which do I take? :-k Is the purple one safe to drink?
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:41 pm

I'll start working on the "Water Access and Quality (WAQ)" DB after I'm done with the "best fishin' spots" DB.
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:48 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:How ever will we find water????

On Guanella Pass, you can just squeeze it out of your socks most of the way.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin

Return to “14ers”