14er this weekend... No snow?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ClydetheClimber
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (5)

14er this weekend... No snow?

Post by ClydetheClimber »

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anybody knew which of the 14ers has the least amount of snow on its summit/around the top. I'm going this weekend (May 20th or 21st), and I would like to hike a mountain with minimal snow. And by minimal, I just mean any amount that doesn't require crampons or snowshoes or anything like that. Any accurate info would be appreciated, and I do understand that all summits likely have a decent amount of snow on them right now.

I was thinking maybe Pikes? I can't decide from the recent trip report pictures if I would need all the snow gear. Thanks.
Don't Mind If I Do!
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Re: 14er this weekend... No snow?

Post by mattpayne11 »

Most of the mountains have tons of snow on them right now. It is a (near) record year for snowpack. I think Pikes Peak may be a good bet. Not sure about Quandary, etc. I saw Shavano had a fairly good melt, and is always a good early season choice by way of the Angel. Good luck!
jagiammaria
14ers: 26  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jagiammaria »

mattpayne11 wrote:Not sure about Quandary, etc.
My brother climbed Quandary yesterday and told me there was snow the entire way to the top. He carried snowshoes, but I'm not sure how much he actually used them.
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

Shavano had a bit on new snow from the storm on sat/sun. And I imagine more snow will fall tonight.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Does anyone in this forum ever look outside their windows?
Toni Marie
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Toni Marie »

I'm currently looking at Pike's, and there's a decent amount of gray up there. I'd suggest bringing Microspikes, but I don't think you'd need snowshoes. However, this is just my observation from my window; I haven't heard from anyone who's actually climbed it recently. Unfortunately, most of the mountains are supposed to get snow throughout this week starting this afternoon, so you'll be hard-pressed to find any routes w/o snow.
Toni Marie
"I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky. The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullaby. Rocky Mountain High, Colorado."
halestorm
14ers: 45 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by halestorm »

A friend and I went up Pikes from Crags on Monday morning. The trail is 99% snow free to treeline. There is a relatively consistent blanket of snow & ice from treeline to summit, but barring any new snow this week the trail/route is tracked out and postholing on the way up and down was a non-issue. We had snowshoes and microspikes with us and never used either (although I would still recommend taking microspikes just in case). LMK if you need any more beta.
ClydetheClimber
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by ClydetheClimber »

Thanks for the info..... yeah it looks like a decent amount of snow is going to be unavoidable. Oh well, still probably gonna go for Pikes and just come prepared.
Don't Mind If I Do!