Tall Order -- Spring 14ers?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KLH
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Tall Order -- Spring 14ers?

Post by KLH »

I don't usually get going until later in the summer, but I'm leaving Colorado June 2nd so it's now or never. Is there anything that's climbable without much snow equipment before then? To make this request even more ridiculous, I would rather do something new (and I've been picking away at easy ones, so not Democrat, Lincoln, Bross, Evans, Grey's, Torrey's, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Oxford). Is there hope?
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tall Order -- Spring 14ers?

Post by Robzilla »

I will defer to someone in the area who is more up to date on the weather, but I just wanted to say, don't lose hope. My understanding is that some of the stuff in the San Juans has had less than normal snow this year. Anyone have more details on weather and snow conditions to offer up? I'm looking forward to the answer too. There is all of one place in Missouri that will sell you an ice axe, and they only have the one.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Dude, how about 2 more easy ones (not on your list): Sherman and Quandary? These are more popular winter ones, and the only winter ones I've done.
Of course, assume your own risks, preparation, and research on the conditions (Quandary was hammered with snow as recently as last week; Sherman has the famous cornice on the saddle; thunderstorms have been cropping up lately)...but I would think those would be some better options in the next 2 weeks given your question.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Bierstadt should be feasible with snowshoes and microspikes soon. You might keep an eye on conditions at Pikes Peak too. I heard there was terrible icing on trail above treeline this weekend, but that could disappear quickly.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

How about Shavano/Tabequeche or something in the Sangre de Cristos? My understanding is that they have far less snow in this area then elsewhere right now.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick