Holy Cross Wilderness Questions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
leftyslugger
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Holy Cross Wilderness Questions

Post by leftyslugger »

Looking for some info from those of you who have more knowledge of the area. I am planning to be in the Holy Cross Wilderness the week after July 4th for a 5 day trip with a group of guys. The plan is to hike the Fall Creek Trail to Lake Constantine (possibly Tuhare Lakes), over Fall Creek Pass, down to Holy Cross City, up and over Fancy Pass, camp in the Cross Creek Basin, then go over Missouri Pass into the Missouri Lakes Basin for a couple of nights and out at Missouri Lakes TH.

My questions are these: How tough are the passes in relation to snow pack? Do these passes hold loads of snow that typically have huge cornices that block the route? I know it is way too early to truly know what the conditions will be like, but it seems like there is "record" levels of snow up that way. How likely are they to be passable?

I am not concerned about me. I have experience with ice axe/crampons/rope, but there will be guys with me who do not. I don't want to take this route and find out it is impassable on day 2, 3 or 4.

Back in 2008 I went over a pass in the Gores at 11,900 that had a big cornice in late July. These passes are higher and I've read that this is the most snow they've seen since 2003. Just curious if any of you who have been that route or in that area before would have some wisdom on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Keith
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Holy Cross Wilderness Questions

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Fancy and Missouri Pass will still be holding snow over July 4th, but not usually cornices. At least I have not seen one there the times I have been over those passes that time of year. I haven't been around Fall Creek Pass that early, but would expect it to have snow as well. Its a fairly gentle pass, so shouldn't have any cornices either. You shouldn't need any technical gear, lots of people go over those passes that weekend and have a lot of fun "cooling off" playing in the snow, so it will have boot tracks. (Its 4th of July, its kind of a novelty to slide around on the snow for most :D)

Trekking poles should suffice, but it wouldn't hurt to bring axes if you have them so you can glissade off the passes and be able to arrest. You will want waterproof boots and gaitors for sure, maybe some rain pants for glissading. Snow will be soft unless you go really early in the morning, so no need for spikes, but of course snow is slick, so the poles will help for balance descending off the passes.

Have fun, its nice back there that time of year, the snow adds a lot of character to the rough peaks that surround those basins!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

To supplement Chicago Transplant's post, Vail's mid-mountain snowfall reading of 524" this year is the most on record. The next closest snowfall total was 502" and this reading was taken at the top of the mountain (11,250'). No doubt snow totals at the top of Vail Mountain this year far exceeded 524". Vail's average annual snowfal is 325" - 350". As the crow flies, Vail is approximately 15 miles NE of your area of interest. You should probably assume snow totals in the Holy Cross Wilderness are at record levels as well. I've not hiked your specific route but I've hiked some of the areas on your itinerary. Unless we experience an extremely quick warming trend (which hasn't happened so far), there could be significant snow in areas along your route in early July.
leftyslugger
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by leftyslugger »

Thanks for the thoughts. I may fly up and do a scouting trip the week before the 4th of July just to check it out. I'll keep a backup plan on file in case I need one. It's hard to believe how much snow has fallen up there...especially since we've not seen any rain where I live in months! Crazy weather in our country for sure.
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shaunster_co »

I will be heading in to the Lower Cross Creek drainage area in the next few weeks and I will send you a note or pics on the conditions of that drainage - and (pics of conditions) up Half Moon Pass to Holy Cross. The one thing that comes to mind is the multiple creek / drainage crossings, especially with an unusually high snowfall. This was the primary reason I was heading in to the Lower Cross Creek drainage - so I could note how the crossings will fair. There were several bridge washouts last year on Fancy, and the bridge below Holy Cross City, also the bridge crossing at Lower Cross Creek. The high runoff is likely going to be more of an obstacle.
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

Did exactly that trip back in 1985, but in August, not July. I recommend you stay at Harvey Lake for a couple of days rather than spending time in Missouri basin. Lots fewer people, much nicer setting -- fishing was great in lake and in Cross Creek. Blodgett lake winterkilled back then, but they have probably stocked it since then. Found heavily bearing silver ore on the slope between treasure vault and Blodgett that you could dig out with your hands, so you might want to bring a pan. Good camping sites on NE side of Harvey Lake. Have fun.