Grays/Torreys

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
job19
14ers: 37 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Grays/Torreys

Post by job19 »

Has anyone been up Grays/Torreys in the last week. How far up can you drive before hitting the snow. I'm trying to figure out if it’s worth taking snowmobiles? My second question is can u take the snowmobiles passed the upper trailhead. I do not mean this in a physical sense by a legal one. I assume the answer is no however if the snow is good I plan on hitting lost rat and it would be nice to drive the "cheatermobiles" up the basin a ways
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Re: Grays/Torreys

Post by Derek »

climbing_rob wrote:Just FWIW: We climbed Grays this last Saturday (nice day! reasonably warn, little wind), hiking from the road. For nearly May, that damn road has the most snow I've ever seen. At least some years there are a few lower areas where some dirt is showing by now, though usually still impassible. This year. the snow is still very deep all the way. I would guess sometime in JUNE before the road is passable. No big deal, only an extra 3 miles each way.
Quote from Rob on another thread. Doubt you'll be driving too far if at all.

--Derek
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Sleds would be ideal for the road right now. I'm sure a lot of people have taken sleds past it. I'm unsure of the legality of it, but as long as snow coverage is continuous it shouldn't damage the area.
Fiemus
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fiemus »

tmathews wrote:Sleds would be ideal for the road right now. I'm sure a lot of people have taken sleds past it. I'm unsure of the legality of it, but as long as snow coverage is continuous it shouldn't damage the area.
It's not a designated wilderness area and the Trails Illustrated map doesn't indicate that it's closed to motorized use (unlike the Peru Creek side of Grays). Signs at the TH will be a more definitive guide on the legality of taking sleds further up. The times I've been up there on rescues I know we've gone in on snowshoes (or flown in with FFL) - but that could simply have been due to lack of sleds!
job19
14ers: 37 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by job19 »

Thanks for the replies, if I make the trip up this weekend, I think i'll just make the decision when I get to the upper trailhead
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JE242 »

I just checked MVUM. Stevens Gultch Road is a Clear Creek County road. Therefore no unlicenced motor vehicles are permitted. That being said, I saw no C.C.C. representation when I sledded to the TH last season. ;)
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

I second everything MountainFever just said. I hate snow too!
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Matt Lemke wrote:I second everything MountainFever just said. I hate snow too!
There has been an absurd amount of snow in the front range this April. Loveland Ski area has had measurable snow 15 of the last 17 days, and the season total in that stretch has gone from 462 inches to 559 inches. I'd think they could stay open until June if they had the skier traffic.

http://www.skiloveland.com/themountain/ ... story.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

MountainFever wrote:I tried it yesterday... you really can't drive up any of the road right now...we also turned around not to far past the trail head along with 2 other back country skiers...we broke trail and i didn't look safe once you could see the summit and get into the valley.. I wouldn't shoot for it this weekend...avy danger will most likely be high from all the snow that has fallen.
Not to promote doing anything unsafe, but there is an Avy safe route up Grays, no matter what the snow conditions are. this is true for a significant percentage of mountains. In the case of Grays, all you basically have to do is avoid the Avy chute off of Kelso mountain on the approach, giving this a wide berth out in the valley. Our track from last weekend followed this, though I'm sure they are long buried by now. Once past this area, simply follow the Gray's north-ridge all the way up to the ridge leading from Edwards to Grays, hang a right and continue to the Gray's summit. I would not follow the cairned std. route all the way, which veers right of the ridge somewhere around 13,400', as this slope, however unlikely, could slide under the worst of conditions. If you stay on the handy ridges and stay away from cornices, this is a safe route, well above any slopes >20 degrees of angle. Any slides that might happen below you could not propagate to the ridges.

Again, don't do this if you don't know what you're doing, but if you do, Grays peak is a safe climb no matter what the Avy conditions.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

MountainFever wrote:I totally disagree with you Rob!! Anything can slide on what conditions it may be, Nothing is promising!
Probably a nice, safe attitude to have. I won't try too hard to convince people that think as such otherwise.
fjellman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fjellman »

hello - m planning a climb of the EMPEROR COOLER on torreys MAY 11, 2001. if the conditions R good a ski down otherwise ski out via dead dog. if ur interested n joinin me give a ring
( benetaz@hotmail.com )
tsizz
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tsizz »

After all that drama...and warmer temps the next few days, any takers on a Kelso Ridge to Dead Dog? With subsequent ski (ok, snowboard) descent? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? ok, maybe it should wait, but I'm definitely itching to get out if conditions permit, just in case anyone's interested :D