Antero trailhead?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mountain Ninja
14ers: 58  23 
13ers: 62 2
Trip Reports (12)

Antero trailhead?

Post by Mountain Ninja »

Looking to possibly do Antero on Thursday, and I'm wondering about conditions of either TH: Browns Creek and/or Baldwin Gulch?

Any chance of getting up higher than the lower TH for Baldwin Gulch, or getting to the Browns Creek TH? (I drive an XTerra, but don't have chains for the tires or anything that snazzy)

Avy conditions of these?

I realize it's been snowing quite a bit, and Thursday will be the first "nice" day in a little while...
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Showing off my passion for Karate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmmGEdQ_JeE
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Antero trailhead?

Post by tmathews »

Carl posted a conditions report for Antero on 4/16. I doubt the TH status has changed since then.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_en ... recnum=200
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Antero trailhead?

Post by Chicago Transplant »

The lower shelf section of the Baldwin Gulch road is north facing, and also narrow with not many options for parking or turning around. This time of year its best to park at the bottom and walk up it, otherwise you will likely be backing down it when you hit the snowline (speaking from experience on that one, and it was good to have a spotter so I didn't run off the road!).

The good news is above treeline there are several gullies filled with snow this time of year and you can cut the switchbacks on the road using them. They aren't that steep, but probably would be steep enough to slide under the right conditions. Snow conditions vary from year to year (day to day really) and I can't say if they are in good shape or not now, but they were good in April 2006 :wink:

The bigger avy threat is actually above the road on Boulder Mtn near the summer trailhead, not much option to avoid crossing under it. I remember reading someones TR once where in the morning they passed under it no problem, but in the afternoon they had to cross fresh slide debris from it wet-sliding sometime during their Antero climb.

I went up the 13er behind Princeton via Grouse Canyon last Saturday. That TH is dry and so is the trail for the first mile or so to 10k (devoid of winter snow anyway, some new fell during my hike of course), then patchy for the next 1/2 mile. I veered off towards the other peak at that point, and had more consistent snow coverage from 10,500 to treeline. That is all south facing though while Baldwin Gulch is north facing. Too bad it was snowing, otherwise I may have had a glimpse of the route up Antero...
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day