Humboldt Snow route choice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Humboldt Snow route choice

Post by nyker »

In Late May, which route do you think would be in better shape for a snow climb? Southeast Flank Gully or East Ridge?
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Humboldt Snow route choice

Post by tmathews »

This year, probably neither (although the Sangres did get some snow last weekend). If you want to do some actual climbing requiring an ice axe et al, you would have to go up the SE flank gully. The east ridge route is easily hikable without an axe and crampons. When I was up there last at the beginning of March, the gully had continuous snow in it until -- oh, I'd say probably around 11,000 feet. Above that, it was all rock with some mixed sections. The Sangres haven't seen much snow since then, so I doubt it changed much.

nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Wow, not much snow there huh...hmmm I'll have to look into the SE gully, or possibly something else. We were looking for a good, fairly safe 14er snow climb for late May.
Mountain Ninja
14ers: 58  23 
13ers: 62 2
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Mountain Ninja »

nyker wrote:Wow, not much snow there huh...hmmm I'll have to look into the SE gully, or possibly something else. We were looking for a good, fairly safe 14er snow climb for late May.
I'd love to do the SE Flank Gully of Humboldt with ya sometime in May. Please keep me posted, and hopefully we can do this together. :)
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Showing off my passion for Karate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmmGEdQ_JeE