Snowmass late March or early April

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
skystrings
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Snowmass late March or early April

Post by skystrings »

I'm looking for info on Snowmass via the normal route later this month or early April. We turned back last June about 500 ft from he summit last year because of late start (post holing) and ran out of "gas" but loved the long hike in and the lake and just being in the Elks. Sooo...now that we know what we are in for I'd like info on the route with more snow and colder conditions. I realize it should be more difficult earlier in the season but is this doable? We understand the difference in gear needed between a March and June climb but would like any info on what lower as well as high (above the lake) are like in March? Any info would be much appreciated.
"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans" - John Lennon
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Snowmass late March or early April

Post by DaveLanders »

There could be avalanche hazard on this route in March or April; it will depend on the recent snowfall/wind/temperatures
before your trip.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
bckcntryskr
14ers: 17  11 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by bckcntryskr »

I have been in the vicinity during this time each of the last four years. As you probably already know, it depends. Mainly on snowpack and weather. There have been years when it's a go and others where skiing inbounds was the better choice. I will be there from 29 Mar - 1 Apr this year.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

I don't think I would trust the snow on the standard route in March since it's east facing, but you might get lucky with a period of dry weather to settle the snow down. Stable weather in March doesn't last long in CO as you probably know. I attempted the west face route in mid-March last year and we turned around at around 13900'. We had very good conditions until that point, then it turned into more of an early winter snowpack with poor consolidation.

Kevin
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
skystrings
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skystrings »

That is the kind of information we are looking for. We may try to hold off until May since it's hard to plan vacation and travel time. I just wanted to know what the Av conditions are like that time of year for the standard route. Thanks.
"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans" - John Lennon
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Our party let loose a decent slab avalanche on Snowmass' east slopes on a May 3 weekend back in 2009. This was Jordan's (JcWhite) last 14er to ski in his ski the 14ers project. We were ascending a steeper part of the east slopes snowfield to the ridge closer to the summit when the slab cut on our bootpack and slid to our left down several hundred feet. It probably wouldn't have completely buried anyone and it was fairly slow moving, but nonetheless a little nerve-wracking. What slid was the 16" of powder that fell the previous night while we were camped at Snowmass Lake. There was a very hard sun crust layer underneath all of the new powder upon which the new snow slid. So, it may not be typical of May spring corn-snow conditions, but definitely be cognizant of the large dumps that can occur in May and avoid the steeper slopes until you get to the ridge. However, the new powder made for some great turns on the way down!