14er Trail with Cell Coverage bottom to top?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wallywest
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

14er Trail with Cell Coverage bottom to top?

Post by wallywest »

Hi, folks. I know there are some threads about cellular phone coverage out there, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I was hoping one of you would be able to tell me which 14er trail I would be most likely to find cell coverage from the TH to the summit. Ideally, I am looking for something that is < 2 hour drive from Vail. Any help?
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14er Trail with Cell Coverage bottom to top?

Post by tmathews »

Princeton's probably a good bet.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Should ALWAYS presume there will be no coverage.
Especially when you need it.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

I think that I had cell coverage on Mt. Elbert from start to finish.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I was sending texts up and down Quandary, with AT&T. Yet somehow I have dropped calls in my living room.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
wallywest
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wallywest »

peter303 wrote:Should ALWAYS presume there will be no coverage.
Especially when you need it.

Agreed 100%. I would never PLAN on having it.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Elbert has good coverage, I proposed to my now wife on the summit, she was texting and calling everyone under the sun on the way down.

I usually keep my phone off and in a pocket or in a pack, but I did have excellent service in the summit area of Lincoln.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

peter303 wrote:Should ALWAYS presume there will be no coverage.
Yup.
greenhouseguy wrote:I think that I had cell coverage on Mt. Elbert from start to finish.
Also yup. I even had decent internet on the summit. (Not that its needed...just sayin..) I use ATT.

--Derek
mrburns
14ers: 20 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mrburns »

To the OP, it looks like this is going to be your first attempt at a 14er and I assume you are asking about cell coverage for safety concerns etc. Please, please, please don't become one of the those people who insists on having the "guess where I am" conversation on the summit. I always carry a phone, but as Theo said, it is off and in a pocket or pack. End Rant. :D
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Ummmmm...... PERHAPS the OP simply has to climb somewhere that has continuous cell coverage because of professional or other personal reasons? Maybe not safety reasons?????? Simple question, which mountains afford this?

This situation happened to my GF recently; she was on call that day, and had to be reachable, hence HAD to remain in cell range. So we climbed Elbert.
ocean_roots
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ocean_roots »

Definatly don't rely on coverage anywhere, and if you HAVE to have coverage that day, maybe a hike with coverage instead of a moutain? I had coverage the whole time on Quandry and before and after tree line on Holy Cross (AT&T). No where else for me...I didn't get any on Elbert, although I am reading a lot of others have.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

I would agree with the other posters that relying on cell phones in the backcountry is not a good idea, however, with that being said there is actually a page on 14ers.com that lists cell coverage on various routes: http://14ers.com/php14ers/cellreportmain.php

Cheers!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick