IT Band Syndrome Knee

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Re: IT Band Syndrome Knee

Post by hotrod »

No, for ITB syndrome a compression band is worn above the knee. Here's a picture.

http://www.footsmart.com/Product.aspx?P ... 4AodbAvGzw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

GBH64 wrote:PS - The Chopat compression band is worn below the kneecap, not above, right?

The most common "Cho-Pat" strap is worn below the knee as you say Ben, and I think is usually worn for Runner's knee not ITBS. Looks like HotRod's version is a little different. Whatever works, right!
jtdudley
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jtdudley »

Taking time off and utilizing a foam roller are both great suggestions. However, both of these are short term fixes and do not address the root cause of your ITBS and therefore it will likely return if further rehab is not performed (this is why so many people report recurrent ITBS). The best option for this is a physical therapist as they can help to determine the reason for the ITB irritation and thus inflammation and pain. The most common cause for ITBS is poor alignment of the lower extremity, and more specifically weak gluteus medius muscles. Weak gluteus medius muscles are very prevalent and result in poor dynamic control of the lower extremity which is most obvious through knee bowing or buckling and thus irritating the distal attachment of the ITB. Other causes can include; over pronation, over striding with running, knee joint inflammation and excessive training on tissue that is not prepared for that kind of stress.
RollBuffs
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RollBuffs »

The advice in this thread is all very true and will hopefully prove helpful for you. But I had a couple questions...
Has anyone ever had "IT Band Sydrome." I was just halfway diagnosed by a Doctor who didnt seem to be 100% convinced this was my problem.
In much the same manner as ITBS, patellar tendonitis, and patella femoral syndrome can inflame the knee. All the advice given above would also help for the latter two injuries, but you can tweak your recovery depending on the exact injury. I was wondering where exactly your pain starts and if it radiates somewhere else. Does it start on the medial or lateral sides of your knee? Or on your patella tendon or under your patella? Does cold weather irritate it more? I have a couple other remedies I have used for these injuries, but it would help to know more specifics.

As a longtime sufferer from knee injuries, I'd love to be able to help someone else overcome theirs!
Fred North
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fred North »

Going to see a PT as suggested is where to start. I'm a runner, had IT band problems and couldn't run to the refrigerator. Stretching and getting the quads and hamstrings strengthened and did the trick. I still stretch regularly and work out the hams and quads and no more problems. Check out runnersworld.com for some great stretches if you don't make it to the PT.
Exactly...these go to 11 -- Nigel Tufnel
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Thank you guys for all your advice. I have been using the roller which is very painful but totally works. I know its not for lack of squad or hamstring strenght because when I am not in the mountains I am pretty much a meathead who gets plenty of leg strength work in. It has been feeling a lot better with deep tissue massage and the roller but if there are any other pointers anyone has to speed up the process that would be much appreciated. I am really hoping this will not affect my come spring time when I want to start knocking off the 14ers.

Thanks again
kushrocks
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
rebelcowboy
14ers: 24  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rebelcowboy »

Trigger point dry needling at http://www.cherrycreekwellnesscenter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; may be of use
jtdudley
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jtdudley »

It is great that you have good quad and hamstring strength, but that is only a very small part of the picture. Focus on the gluteus medius and maximus strength. I can't tell you how many "meatheads" think they are very strong but in reality have horrible hip strength and control resulting in poor lower extremity mechanics (this includes collegiate athletes and some NFL football players). A simple exercise to work your glutes is single leg squats to a bench or chair with focus on keeping knee aligned over 2nd & 3rd toe, or a single leg squat with a reach across the body. If you think of most running and hiking mechanics, much of the activity is relying on single leg strength and control in varrying degrees of hip flexion. Now imagine how tired your legs are after a long hike.....these muscles likely fatigue and perform and sub-par performance. For the single leg squat to a chair/bench I would recommend being able to perform 6x15 reps ea leg with perfect form, and for the squat and reach exercise; perform for 1min on ea leg then take 30 sec rest. Repeat 6-8 times.

Despite what I said above, continuing use of the foam roller, and feeling that you are overall very strong, I still recommend seeing a PT.