Friday afternoon hike near Denver

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jaypeak88
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Friday afternoon hike near Denver

Post by jaypeak88 »

I'm in Westminster on business and have tomorrow afternoon free, I'm looking to get out for a quick hike to somewhere scenic to get some photos of a big peak. I've been thinking somewhere in Colorado Springs, like Garden of the Gods to see Pikes, or maybe up in RMNP to try and get pictures of Longs? Can anyone recommend anything relatively quick where I can just get some nice views of one of these peaks? I know Pikes is visible from Colorado Springs but I'd love to get out for a quick walk.

Thanks!
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Friday afternoon hike near Denver

Post by zoomie83 »

Here's a few that I've done that might be what you're looking for:

Mt Rosa near Co Spgs, southeast of Piles Peak. 6.5 RT 1700 feet
Mt Herman near Monument, north of Pikes Peak 4.0 RT 1000 feet

Twin Sisters Peak east of Longs Peak 7.4 RT 2340 feet
Estes Cone north of Longs Peak 6.6 1600 RT

Or, Green Mountain or South Boulder Peak near Boulder provides a veiw from Mt Evans across the Indian Peaks to Longs Peak. A longer view than the other hikes but the panaorama is fantastic.
There are myriad routes up these mountians.

Let me know if you any questions aobut therse hikes.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

zoomie83 wrote:Here's a few that I've done that might be what you're looking for:

Mt Rosa near Co Spgs, southeast of Piles Peak. 6.5 RT 1700 feet
Mt Herman near Monument, north of Pikes Peak 4.0 RT 1000 feet

Twin Sisters Peak east of Longs Peak 7.4 RT 2340 feet
Estes Cone north of Longs Peak 6.6 1600 RT

Or, Green Mountain or South Boulder Peak near Boulder provides a veiw from Mt Evans across the Indian Peaks to Longs Peak. A longer view than the other hikes but the panaorama is fantastic.
There are myriad routes up these mountians.

Let me know if you any questions aobut therse hikes.
Those are some good suggestions. If you only have the afternoon free that really doesn't leave you much daylight with sunset around 5pm. Not sure if you have gaiters or snowshoes because if not you will want to stick with something that doesn't have too deep of snow. One possibility would be a hike up the Barr Trail for as long as time would allow for a turnaround to get you back by 5pm. I know you get some great views of Pikes well before you reach Barr camp. There usually is a good trench for the trail up to Barr camp so you probably can get away without having snowshoes or gaiters.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

If you're in Westminster with just the afternoon free I wouldn't spend 2 hours in the car driving to the springs. The hike up the first flatiron (trail takes you close to the top and finishes on the west side) is easy, close, and provides nice views of Longs etc. if the weather is good. If you had enough time some of the suggestions for RMNP would be fun and you'd be a lot closer to the big peaks.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I usually recommend Loveland Pass when the weather is good (probably not this weekend).
You are above the treeline and in "moonscape" country.
This is similar to a view you'd get from summiting a 14er.
Its 60-75 minutes drive from Denver, Exit 216 on I-70.
Thats closer than Pikes Peak or Rocky Mountain Park timewise.
Around Exit 250 you get a breathtaking view of the snow-capped Gore range on -70.
But that is only teaser for what you will see on the pass.
I drove this on Jan 2, but it was icy road and windy.
If the wind and ice arent too bad, you can fairly safely hike up the first south ridge to about 13K feet.

On the same drive you can stop at Loveland ski resort or Keystone- both have free parking.
You can watch the skiers and have a lunch or hot chocolate.
jaypeak88
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jaypeak88 »

Wow, thanks so much everybody! Being from Connecticut, I take every chance I get can to do some climbing or otherwise out here; you're so lucky to get to live out here! I've got a lot of thinking to do tonight to maximize this small window. Appreciate all the feedback!