Guanella Pass Access?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BCsnow7L
Trip Reports (0)

Guanella Pass Access?

Post by BCsnow7L »

Is the northern access route off I-70 open yet to Guanella pass? Would it be accessible on tomorrow, Sunday the 19th?
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Guanella Pass Access?

Post by Neil »

Nope...sorry! You still have to use the southern approach from Grant. But you should still go...it doesn't add an awful amount of time and tomorrow is going to be beautiful.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
summers
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 30 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by summers »

Guanella Pass has been closed from the north for a couple of years now due to major rockslides. It will take a significant sum of money to stabilize everything to allow it to be reopened. I do not believe there are any plans to allocate any money to this in the foreseeable future. So, short version, don't expect this to be open this year, next year, or -- realistically -- possibly for several years to come.
cwm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cwm »

summers wrote:Guanella Pass has been closed from the north for a couple of years now due to major rockslides. It will take a significant sum of money to stabilize everything to allow it to be reopened. I do not believe there are any plans to allocate any money to this in the foreseeable future. So, short version, don't expect this to be open this year, next year, or -- realistically -- possibly for several years to come.

Guanella Pass has not been closed for a couple of years due to the rock slide problem near Clear Lake. The problem first appeared in June, 2009 and was measured and studied for the next couple of months. The road was finally closed August 21, 2009. Some work has been scheduled and there is a possibility it may be reopened in October 2010.

There are still some construction delays/hourly closures on the north end during the week from the road construction that has been going on for a few years. But this is separate from the rock slide closure.
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

summers wrote:Guanella Pass has been closed from the north for a couple of years now due to major rockslides. It will take a significant sum of money to stabilize everything to allow it to be reopened. I do not believe there are any plans to allocate any money to this in the foreseeable future. So, short version, don't expect this to be open this year, next year, or -- realistically -- possibly for several years to come.

Strange, I was under the impression they were doing work at the lake that had something to do with the accident involving excel energy and this would be resolved before next summer.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.