Capitol-Snowmass Traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Capitol-Snowmass Traverse

Post by Kiefer »

So, after over a year of planning and waiting, Mike (Oldschool), Noah (winter8000m), Steve Gladbach and myself finally got around in making this thing happen.
We left the summit of Capitol at 9:30am and finally bailed off the ridge around 5:15pm near North Snowmass at a section that stopped all of us dead in our tracks...a small section I call "the land of scary gendarmes'.
We came up roughly .2-.3 miles and 600ft. shy of our goal. We had to stop due to several factors working against us.
But, we'll be back next year to finish the 5 pitch 5.6 climb of North Snowmass and Snowmass.

The girlfriends (Stephanie & Brenda) were absolutely stellar and beyond necessary. They picked the smelly four of us up at the Lake Geneva TH in Lead King.

I'll go on record as saying...this ridge is just plain dangerous. I've never in all my forays into the San Juans or Elks have seen such massive quantities or size of loose rock.
The average size of stuff we knocked loose was prolly about the size of a microwave. The ridge is CONSISTENT in its' difficulties and was impossible to stay on the ridge crest.
I'll never go back and repeat it.

Anyway, here's a few pictures and a report will follow soon.
Noah, Steve, Mike....Sh*t...what a day. :shock:

Noah roughly half way across.
Noah-Halfway.JPG
Noah-Halfway.JPG (335.47 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Spires & Gendarmes on the ridge crest
Spires.JPG
Spires.JPG (308.59 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
Steve rapelling the 5.7 climb off Capitol
SteveO rapel.JPG
SteveO rapel.JPG (348.4 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Capitol-Snowmass Traverse

Post by Kiefer »

And one more...

1st tower along 1 of 4 knife sections. Just after leaving the rapel.
1st tower.JPG
1st tower.JPG (264.65 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JohnWilliams »

Well done fellas!
I know how much you were looking forward to this Kiefer! I can't wait to see and read more about it.

Mad props you guys!
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Awesome and terrifying. I've occasionally wanted to do this, but now not so much. Thanks for the warnings!
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Nice! I'd actually been thinking about this the last few days as the next big thing. Was wondering if you were going for it this season. Congrats to all. Looking forward to the tr.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Kiefer wrote:...and finally bailed off the ridge around 5:15pm near North Snowmass at a section that stopped all of us dead in our tracks...a small section I call "the land of scary gendarmes'.
Holy crap! Reading that just gives me chills. I also can't wait for the TR. Nice job to all!
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Those pictures are sick! Looks like an accident waiting to happen. And for Kiefer and Noah to say what you are about this....yikes! Glad you all 4 got off that thing safely!

Are you about ready to go tackle the standard routes of Elbert, Bierstadt or Quandary???
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Awesome photos. Sounds nasty.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Dude. :shock:
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Nice work gents! Glad you all made it safely. Congrats big time!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

Kiefer wrote:So, after over a year of planning and waiting, Mike (Oldschool), Noah (winter8000m), Steve Gladbach and myself finally got around in making this thing happen.

... And I can now finally sleep at night!

Congrats guys! \:D/ I got some pretty good pictures of you all along the ridge (I just sent them to Kiefer so he can forward them to you).

I'm very relieved you all made it down safely!
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

Would love to put some photo's on here! But I can't figure out how to post them on a forum. I got some really good ones. Basically a photo of every foot of the ridge. There are not any out there shot from this ridge. Even video's of the microwave sized rocks flying down. Couldn't capture the rock avalanche on film though that took me for a few feet of sliding :shock:

In all seriousness, this route is no Grade IV. We couldn't even do this in two days. I would say Grade V or more. As far as the difficulty. Constant 4rth - 5.5, horrible choss for more then 2.5 miles, without a rope.

This ridge is "Satan's Ridge" and is a very serious objective. Getting weather on this ridge would sure ruin your day big time if not your life.....

Way to go guys! I'm still thinking I'm walking on either a loose knife edge or on top of sliding gigantic rocks
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)