Challenger/Kit Carson Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KrazyK
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (1)

Challenger/Kit Carson Conditions?

Post by KrazyK »

Anyone been down in this area this week? I saw there was a chance for snow Wednesday night, and I'm guessing anything that fell has melted off by now given the apparent sunny conditions since, but thought I'd see if anyone has an update on conditions before heading down tomorrow morning.

Also, from what I understand, the drive to the trailhead is rough 2wd to easy 4wd. I'm going with a friend, and he has an Accord and an Acura MDX (SUV). The 4wd portion is only the last mile or so, correct? We are just trying to determine which to take and wouldn't mind saving gas money with the Accord, but also want to error on the side of caution for his vehicle's sake. And yes, I'm aware that at one time or another, a Civic has made it to just about every trailhead in the state :D , but talking for the average driver.
Last edited by KrazyK on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
tommyboy360
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Challenger/Kit Carson Conditions?

Post by tommyboy360 »

The last 1.2 miles is 4WD after you pass a 2WD parking sign. The road has a few steep rollers to clear along with some deep ruts. The road is also full of loose sediment (Think Sand Dunes) so you will need to keep some speed on the steep parts to maintain traction. I did see one small 2WD car at the upper TH.
Road is easy for a 4WD. Low clearance 2WD will take some careful driving. At least the 4WD road is short and there are plenty of areas to pull-off and park along side of the road. Most of the road is not tricky. Just a few rough and steep spots which are more frequent in the last 0.5 mile.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
pocketmaces
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Challenger/Kit Carson Conditions?

Post by pocketmaces »

Are there any problems with porcupines doing damage to cars at the TH parking lot?