What are the 14er Great Traverses

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bookerlen
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

What are the 14er Great Traverses

Post by bookerlen »

Hi all,

I know this is a basic question, but can anyone tell me what the 14er Great Traverses are? I'm sure they are out there among posts and trip reports, but I haven't been able to find any that list them all. I've heard there are the "Four Great Traverses", and then some others which are noteworthy. I'd like to know which they are so we can consider them during planning for future climbs.

Thanks
Bookerlen

"Make us Thy mountaineers; we would not linger on the lower slope"
-Amy Carmichael (The Last Defile)-
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: What are the 14er Great Traverses

Post by Jim Davies »

Maroon Bells
Crestones
El Diente-Mount Wilson
Little Bear-Blanca
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
bookerlen
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bookerlen »

Jim, James,
Thanks for the list. Is there anywhere on 14ers.com which gives routes and total distance, altitude gain, and difficulty rating for each of the traverses and their respective peaks? I guess I'm looking at how do they compare with other traverses and to one another. For instance, I haven't done the Sawtooth, but how would it compare to these traverses? If there are good route descriptions and likely starting points it would help. Guys in our group, the Michigan Flatlanders, have done some class 3 and 4 climbs, but I want to be sure these aren't too difficult and ruin the enjoyment of climbing.

James, appreciate your link. Good information, and it's great to find another christian brother who loves climbing. I'll definitely use some of the information for future planning.
Bookerlen

"Make us Thy mountaineers; we would not linger on the lower slope"
-Amy Carmichael (The Last Defile)-
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

These are nothing like the Sawtooth - these are mostly class 4 traverses with lots of route finding and much greater exposure than the Sawtooth.

The mountains you climb to get to them are also much harder than Bier and Evans
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Two of them have route descriptions on this site:
Maroon Bells
El Diente-Mount Wilson
The others are described in trip reports, Roach's or Dawson's books, summitpost.org, etc. Look around...
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

The Sawtooth isn't even in the same league as the other traverses, I wouldn't take beginners on any of the four traverses. IMO.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
madeinus
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (1)

Post by madeinus »

Off the top of my head I can think of several traverses that exceed the difficulty of the 4 great traverses, (ie. Capital to Snowmass & harvard to Yale across the rabbit ears). What makes the Wilsons, Crestones, Bells, and LB-Blanca the 4 great traverses? Are they the hardest, most exposed traverses that dont require a rope? Or the hardest traverses that stay within Class 4? As the other traverses listed above exceed Class 5. Just always been curious...
Brad Snider
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 72 4
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Brad Snider »

madeinus wrote:What makes the Wilsons, Crestones, Bells, and LB-Blanca the 4 great traverses? Are they the hardest, most exposed traverses that dont require a rope? Or the hardest traverses that stay within Class 4? As the other traverses listed above exceed Class 5. Just always been curious...
Probably something to that effect. To my knowledge the the term "Four Great 14er Traverses" (referring to Bells, LB-Blanca, Wilson-El D., Crestones) was coined by Gerry Roach. He also lists a number of routes in his guidebooks as "classics", and while he has as much room as anyone to call something a "classic" or "not" or "Great"... it is still personal opinion. I think of his "classic" routes and his "Great" traverses as being in that same category of personal favorites. I did enjoy 3 of the 4 traverses (and many of his classic routes), except I was unable to do LB-Blanca which I had to bail out of b/c of weather (might try again someday). Capitol/Snowmass is a bit above my level, and I doubt it would be considered classic b/c of the loose rock anyway.

All that being said, I consider many rugged traverses on lower peaks in Colorado to be much more interesting because they are always less crowded, and usually less cairned.
paully
14ers: 56 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paully »

madeinus wrote:Off the top of my head I can think of several traverses that exceed the difficulty of the 4 great traverses, (ie. Capital to Snowmass & harvard to Yale across the rabbit ears). What makes the Wilsons, Crestones, Bells, and LB-Blanca the 4 great traverses? Are they the hardest, most exposed traverses that dont require a rope? Or the hardest traverses that stay within Class 4? As the other traverses listed above exceed Class 5. Just always been curious...
I don't think so, as I believe most people would consider the LB-Blanca traverse something you would want to rope up for. It is class 5, and so is the Bells traverse in my opinion (say, 5.2). I don't know anything about the two traverses you mention, but I'd say they aren't considered 'great' because the peaks aren't all that close to one another, and most people wouldn't even consider doing them. One factor is probably the aesthetics of the routes and the incredible positions you find yourself in when traversing them. I can attest to that on the two I've experienced.
alexhenes
14ers: 58  19  5 
13ers: 721 61 5
Trip Reports (72)

Post by alexhenes »

I don't think you would want a rope on LB-Blanca... here are a few reasons why...

1. Not much opportunity for anchoring
2. It would cripple your pace
3. It would present more tangling/rope mgt issues than it would be worth. Would introduce risk of tripping etc.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I think part of a traverse making a great category is that it saves time and/or effort compared to alternatives. For example the Crestone traverse is a lot faster and easier (energy wise) than descending to the valley below and climbing them seperately same with the Bells. However the ridge between Harvard and Columbia, or the ridge between Capitol and Snowmass take longer and more effort than to just drop into the valleys and bypass the ridge line.

Just speculation though.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com